Minolta Dimage Z5

barich16cmu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been looking into this camera and it seems like it is everything that I need. Does anybody here have this camera and how do you like it? Also, would you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm also looking for a digital camera and I would certainly consider the Z5 if it were available within my price range. I haven't used it personally but have tried using the Z2 which is quite similar; aesthetically it's definitely odd and I personally don't like the appearance of any of the Z-models except for the Z5, however in terms of handling it's actually excellent once you get used to it - I shot one-handed with the Z2 no problem. Image quality was very good. Definitely consider it; see if you can try it out in a shop . Hope this helps :)

I have the Z1. Not a great camera.

Right now my main camera is a Panasonic DMC-FZ5. The picture quality of the Panasonic beats the Minolta hands down! I did use the Z5 befoe I purchased the FZ5 and compared the pictures. The Z5 (and all the Z series for that matter) have a problem with high noise.

Go to dpreview.com and read the reviews. They even have some head to heads with the Z5 and the FZ5. The FZ5 wins in every catagory. I purchased the FZ5 from digitalliquidators.com for I think $375 US.

I'm getting the Sony alternative the Sony DSC-H1. It looks really good. I'm not aware of pride differences in the different companies but i know this is one of the better ones. I'm getting it fr just over £300.

I can't speak on the Z5, but I have a Z1 and it's a pretty good little camera. I think it does fine for the price. I've read the reviews for the Z5 and think you could be happy with it, but you should try and get to a store that has one in stock and just play with it. Or you can do what I did when shopping for cameras. I take my laptop to the store with me along with a card(SD,CF, whatever it uses-I have a bunch of just about all types) and shoot a few pics just of the store and people in it. Then download them to my laptop and see how the turn out. As long as you tell the salesman/woman that you are thinking of buying the camera and just wanted to see the results so you don't have to make a return(hitting the commisioned sales person in the pocket) they are pretty good about letting you try it out. But then again I'm a great big geek and carrying my laptop to the store isn't a problem for me. Either way, let me know what you finally chose and why, I'd be interested to know.

Daniel said:
I'm not aware of pride differences in the different companies but i know this is one of the better ones.

Ah there are big pride differences; Sony are extremely proud, Canon on the other hand are quite humble - the press release for their latest camera says "Well, it's ok I guess, nothing special"...

Sorry, couldn't resist picking up on that :mrgreen:

I'm surprised by woodsac's negative comments; personally although I don't like the design of the Z2 I can't really fault it's image quality; noise certainly wasn't a problem on the lower ISO levels for me. I'm sure the Panasonic FZ5 does offer better quality than the Z5 - although you'll notice that Dpreview say "both cameras - but especially the Panasonic - are producing admirably detailed results with an excellent tonal range, accurate colors and no serious problems" (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaz5/page7.asp) - it's not as if they say "The Minolta is horrible, just horrible - God, look at the photos, they're appalling!" I guess whether you pay the extra for something like the Panasonic depends on the price difference in your part of the world. In any case I doubt you'd be seriously disappointed with the Z5's performance.

Most reactions

Back