Minolta lenses

Casey78

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all

I just bought a Sony a500 DSLR.
I am interested in buying a few different lenses as I really want to throw myself in at the deep end and learn how to use camera properly,I am going to take a few evening classes as well.

Just wondered to get me started would it be a good idea to buy a few Minolta lenses instead of the Sony ones,I can get some lenses pretty cheap on ebay compared to the prices of the new Sony lenses.
Im sure these Minolta lenses are old but for the price I think its worth the risk depending and what people here actually think?
If in good condition will these lenses be as good as the new Sony lenses?
If I want to buy a zoom lens would a 70mm - 210mm f/4 be a good one to start with? or would I really want to go for a lower f number?
Same goes with wide angle lenses,what should I be looking for?
I don't have loads of money for this so thats why I thought starting with a few Minolta lenses which can be got cheap would be a good place to start.
Im sorry if these are basic and silly questions but I have no one else to ask! I know I could seach google for answers which I have done, but there is nothing like a human response albeit a cyber human response.

Thanks

Casey the old Minolta AF lenses will work just fine and they are very good lenses. That 70-210 f4 is the famous "Beercan" and is an excellent lens, very sharp ! You should be able to pick one up for $150 USD. The old 50mm f 1.7 is another good lens and cheap $50 USD. In addition to these look into some used Sigma lenses. Enjoy your Sony.

Another great lens is the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8/4.5 a VERY sharp lens and can be found for around $275 USD.

Last edited:
Hi all

I just bought a Sony a500 DSLR.
I am interested in buying a few different lenses as I really want to throw myself in at the deep end and learn how to use camera properly,I am going to take a few evening classes as well.

Just wondered to get me started would it be a good idea to buy a few Minolta lenses instead of the Sony ones,I can get some lenses pretty cheap on ebay compared to the prices of the new Sony lenses.
Im sure these Minolta lenses are old but for the price I think its worth the risk depending and what people here actually think?
If in good condition will these lenses be as good as the new Sony lenses?
If I want to buy a zoom lens would a 70mm - 210mm f/4 be a good one to start with? or would I really want to go for a lower f number?
Same goes with wide angle lenses,what should I be looking for?
I don't have loads of money for this so thats why I thought starting with a few Minolta lenses which can be got cheap would be a good place to start.
Im sorry if these are basic and silly questions but I have no one else to ask! I know I could seach google for answers which I have done, but there is nothing like a human response albeit a cyber human response.

Thanks

There were several generations of Minolta Maxxum lenses. Be sure to check out what compatibility issues there are. Some of the original, oldest lenses may not work properly in all respects.

Minolta AF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
There were several generations of Minolta Maxxum lenses. Be sure to check out what compatibility issues there are. Some of the original, oldest lenses may not work properly in all respects.

Minolta AF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also make sure you are looking at Minolta Maxxum AF lenses and not the earlier Minolta SR, MC, or MD lenses. The MD, MC, and SR lenses use a completely different lens mount and will not work on Minolta Maxxum or Sony Alpha bodies.

Old Minolta SLR lenses are good glass but I doubt they will mount on your Sony - maybe there is an adapter to do it. I have 7 MC/MD mount Minolta's that I use on my Panasonic G1. The 50mm f1.4 is a gem.

The old SR/MC/MD mount lenses can't be adapted to the newer Maxxum/Sony A-mount with a simple mechanical adapter for any use except closeup and macro work.

To get infinity focus the adapter must also include a lens which degrades optical quality. To minimize optical quality loss you have to use several elements. This makes the adapter rather thick and requires that the optics function as a tele-extender with noticable magnification (1.4-2x). The cheap adapters on the market use a single element to allow the magnification to be minimal but produce lower optical quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back