Minolta zoom options

jimiismydaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I jumped on an amazing deal for a Minolta AF 70-210 4.5-6 zoom lens on ebay. I just couldnt pass it up, brand new for like 75% off lol.

My question is should I resell this and get something around 100-300. I really wanted the 300m capability. Or is it better to hold onto this 210 and purchase a 300 separately?

What I have now is in my sig.

I think 210 should be fine for most shooting... I dont know where you want to go with it i mean if you're wanting to take pictures of the moon i'd say sure go for the 300 but for most uses the 210 should be fine

just some wildlife stuff I shoot, like the ducks around the lake by my house, i took it out yesterday to try it out and its just short enough still that when i shoot they start running in fear from me lol. Im gonna start taking bread and feed them.

The 70-210mm's have pretty good range and some have excellent image quality - that is why there are soooo many of them around. However, the range factor can be limiting for wildlife useage - this can be minimized by getting closer to your subject (i like the bread trick!!).

For the longer shots though, and speaking NOT as a wildlife photog, 300mm is usually the suggested STARTING place. If wildlife is not your primary interest, but you see yourself growing that way, maybe a good start could be the Minolta AF 100-300 F4.5-5.6 D APO. It is well regarded and can serve in many capacities quite well.

In my film lenses, I like my 70-210mm, but it simply cannot compete with my 300mm. It's just doesn't have the reach.

fm

Most reactions

Back