Minor Lens Repair Issue

JSD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a question for anyone who might be knowledgable about lens repair. I have a Nikon 80-200 zoom who's rubber zoom grip is loose. Especially when hot out I need to grip excessively hard or the rubber simply slips. Can I glue this with a few dabs of rubber cement? Or should I take it in to a pro repair shop?
Thank you,
JSD

Depends on how much the lens is worth to you. You probably could just dab on a bit of glue, but I would take it to a certified repair centre and get a guarantee with the repairs.

Depends on how much the lens is worth to you. You probably could just dab on a bit of glue, but I would take it to a certified repair centre and get a guarantee with the repairs.

Thanks for the reply, I will check into it.
JSD

I used DS tape once but like an idiot I took it out in sub zero weather before it was ready and the grip contracted and screwed the whole shooting match.

I have in the past used the spray adheasive in the craft section in Wall-Mart/Kmart to re apply a lens grip, It worked well enough to say it worked. The grip I reapplied was not perfict so the results are not perfect but I am pleased with it considering. The Spray adheasive has much more give than the DS tape, I would suggest the spray if you are in a place with major seasonal variation.

I have a roll of 3m VHB tape just for little things like this. I dare say having a pro fix it would probably cost less than the roll of tape though. (I had it left over from a job we did a few years ago)

erie

Thanks for the help folks, I appreciate it.
JSD

I did type up a how too for the DS tape fix if you want it....Just don't let it go from warm to cold in a hurry....

I could alsi explain the slight variation to the other methoed too if you want

I did type up a how too for the DS tape fix if you want it....Just don't let it go from warm to cold in a hurry....

I could alsi explain the slight variation to the other methoed too if you want

Thank you, I would appreciate whatever info you could pass along. The nearest Nikon shop is a half day drive away so I hope to deal with this myself.
JSD

Forgive my spelling...I am a horrid speller

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/collectors-corner/157184-lens-grip-repair.html

Now there is a bit of variation if you choose to use the sprey adheisive. If you opt to do the sprey adheisive step three is simply taking the grip and spreying it with the adheisive as opposed to applying to the barrel. and the rest is pretty much the same.

Also keep in mind, with this repair there is a chance for separation if the grip gets really cold but it does not effect the performance.

Forgive my spelling...I am a horrid speller

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/collectors-corner/157184-lens-grip-repair.html

Now there is a bit of variation if you choose to use the sprey adheisive. If you opt to do the sprey adheisive step three is simply taking the grip and spreying it with the adheisive as opposed to applying to the barrel. and the rest is pretty much the same.

Also keep in mind, with this repair there is a chance for separation if the grip gets really cold but it does not effect the performance.

Thanks Battou, but I think I like the slip-a-little-glue- under-the-grip method better. I dont want to cut the grip. I appreciate your effort in helping me out.
JSD

I know this is an old post but I searched it and here's what happened. I had the same problem with my Nikon 70-200 2.8. I notice that when I shoot this lens I tend to roll my zoom with my left hands middle finger. So I need it to grip.

This morning I brought it to work and fixed it. The DIY fix process was; I flipped the rubber grip that was completely loose inside out. I never removed the grip from the lens, I just turned it over to the barrel closer to the front of the lens. Next, I used painters tape and construction paper to tape off the areas on either side of the inside out grip (note: I did one end and slid the grip down a little over the tape and then taped off the other side. This way I could slide the grip over each taped end a bit before the next step). Next, I used a fairly aggressive spray adhesive (Its a 3M called '77') and evenly sprayed one light coat onto the backside [inside out side] of the grip. Next, Remove all the tape and flip the grip right side out onto the lens barrel where it belonged. I ended up 'working' the grip back into place with my fingers for the next couple minuted to get it lined up. The last thing I did (USE CAUTION) was to take a heat gun and gently warm up the grip (mine had loosened because it was streched as well. The heat shrank it a little to fit better). ONLY do the heat gun thing if you are sure you can handle it. In my profession or 'day job', I build sets and scenery that you see on tv (like the sit-coms and news sutdios) so I work with these kinds of things all the time. So be careful and this should only take 10 entire minutes and save you service cost plus down time!

Hope this helps!

this is a common problem. it's really easy to fix but you need the right kind of tape. go to somewhere that makes trophies. ask them for a few feet of their double stick tape.. it's very very thin and super sticky. that's what you want trophy double stick tape... take the grip, roll it so it's inside out on the end, put the tape on the lens and roll the grip back in place, it will work perfect, then just do the same thing on the other end of the grip

Mike Leggero

http://www.michaelleggero.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back