PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK maybe this isn't a general camera question! :lol:

I have an old Praktica BC1 with a non working light meter that I use for my astrophotography and I'd like to do a couple of modifications to it.

Can I fit a lever to the mirror to come out of the top of the camera to lock the mirror up? If that's not a problem I'd like to disconnect the mirror selonoid so it no longer draws power or vibrates the camera when it should operate but will this interfere with the shutter circuit which will only be used on Bulb setting?

Also I'd like to dispense with the little battery & wire in a 4 cell, 6v/1300Mah pack fixed to the tripod but will the camera draw too much power from this pack & should I regulate it?

Finally is it worth insulating the body itself for the long & cold winter nights to protect the film inside?

Any suggestions appreciated & I'm not going to sue anybody who suggests something that may damage the camera! :lol: :thumbup:

The honest answer is: I wouldn't bother.
You are going to be spending a lot of time and effort to try and get the thing to do something it's not designed to do and in all probability you'll just junk the camera.
You would do better to look for a second hand camera that has the features you need.
If you go for something like an Olympus OM-1 you can pick them up for around £50. They were pro cameras so have a built-in mirror lock-up, have mechanical shutters and lots of extras like interchangeable focussing screens and a bulk film back.
I've had an OM-1 since about 1975 and it still works like a dream.
I believe they did telescope and microscope adapters too. Haunt your second-hand camera stores.

What Hertz said.

The only elemental protection I give my cameras is to put a plastic bag over them which helps reduce the water from mist and dew and light rain. Sandwich bags are pretty good for this.

Rob

Ebay is flooded with good old fashioned cameras with the features you are looking for and in many instances,batteries do not apply. I found a Nikkormat FTN with mirror lockup and a lens pretty cheap. The battery is for the meter only so it didn't matter for night photography. Mounted on a tripod and a cable release with any type of camera with mirror lockup and you should be in good shape. Rob is on the money with his idea for camera protection.

Thanks guys!:thumbup:

I had a look at the OM1's on Ebay & they seem quite expensive even without lenses!:confused:

I would have liked to be able to use my existing lenses as one has had the internal baffle removed & another has been fixed accurately at infinity just for the purpose.

What are my other choices of camera with mirror lock up?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back