Mirror Lockup w/ XTi using remote...

Turnerea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm using a Canon RC1 remote to trigger the shutter on my XTi, and also trying to use the mirror lockup feature (trying to get rid of all vibrations to capture detail on the moon).

I've found that the only way to use the mirror lockup with the remote is to have the remote in "2 second delay" mode. Is 2 seconds enough for the vibrations to die out?? I'd ideally like to be in the normal mode, trigger once to get the mirror up, wait LONGER than 2 seconds, then trigger again to take the picture. Anyone have any success trying this sort of thing? Probably applies to all Canon remote/camera combinations I'm guessing.

ther should be a CFn you can change to lock the mirror up, it only lasts ten minutes then you have to do it again though. At least thats on my XT

2 seconds should be long enough for the vibrations to die off. The mirror is pretty small/light, I wouldn't expect it to cause a vibration lasting longer than a few tenths of a second.

I've actually done some comparisons inside to isolate the effects of the vibration after 2 seconds, and as thought by others here, its not much of an issue. I think that I've done everything I can, and the moon is just really fuzzy still..... guess I'll just have to drive out the LA air basin- hopefully that'll fix it- otherwise I'll be in the market for some more glass!

The remote should allow you to use the mirror lock up without the timer. I use the timer function only when I don't have a remote and so have to press the camera shutter button myself.
I can't think why there would be a problem - I just set my camera to mirror lockup mode - connected in the remote and then used the remote as the shutter button normally.

Yes, you shouldn't need both a remote and the timer.

As far as I know (from the cameras I have or have seen) the timer defaults to 2 seconds when you enable mirror lock up. I don't know if there is a way around that

I don't think there is a work around for that - its auto set to 2seconds for me and I never could find any mention or way of extending that time.
Using it with a remote is the best way

You could always try a cable release instead of the infrared remote. There are cheap cable releases available by companies like Cameron. I don't know how much of a difference it'll make, haven't personally tested out the mirror lock-up feature overly much.

Most reactions

Back