Missing anything? (First Strobe Set-up)

dandaman15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive been spending many hours, probably a whole day of time spent researching strobes and different set-ups. I want to start getting into off camera light but still feel like Im missing info.

I have a Canon Rebel XS and was planning on going with this

Transmitter:

CTR-301P CTR-301P Wireless Flash Trigger Set w/ PC Sync | eBay

Flash Head:

YN-468 Flash Speedlite for Canon 450D 500D 550D 1000D | eBay

I can find a stand and a hot shoe connector for the light at the local camera store or on BH photo video for a decent price, but from what I read this is supposed to work with my camera on full manual mode and Im guessing the tranmitter and flash work together since they are made from the same company. I read plenty of reviews and know the limits but for around $160 bucks I would be happy if it worked. Would it be easier to go with a cheaper flash and just learn full manual like a Vivitar 283 or 285? Or if anyone can show me a better set-up that would work together better Im all ears. I just want to make sure this will work with what I have before I go and spend all the money.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've used that trigger. It works. However, it also seems to be sensitive, in that sometimes it fires by itself. But it's hard to beat the price. As for the flash unit, it will work with your camera on the hotshoe via ETTL, but manual only with the trigger. According to the info presented, it has the ability to change the power levels 8 times - don't know whether that is 8 stops or something else. eh, but the price is cheap.

I've used that trigger. It works. However, it also seems to be sensitive, in that sometimes it fires by itself. But it's hard to beat the price. As for the flash unit, it will work with your camera on the hotshoe via ETTL, but manual only with the trigger. According to the info presented, it has the ability to change the power levels 8 times - don't know whether that is 8 stops or something else. eh, but the price is cheap.

Thanks for the help. The 8 power levels = 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, 1/128, not 8 stops. If this only works in manual then I probably could go with a cheaper model and save another 20-30 bucks.

My bad I always think of stops as ev+- 1,2,3. Im still not totally familiar with everything:blushing:

Did you look at this trigger set. They are RF, reach a LONG ways, they are transceivers (so either one can be the transmitter and either can be the receiver). You can use them to fire strobes or as a remote shutter control. They also use standard size batterys (nice if the batteries die on a shoot)

Yongnuo RF-603 2 Tranceivers Nikon N3 - Ships from USA! | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The ones the OP linked to are also RF and also reach a long way, but i'll probably get a set of those Yongnuo tranceivers to try out.

My bad I always think of stops as ev+- 1,2,3. Im still not totally familiar with everything:blushing:
A stop is any doubeling or halving.

A shutter speed of 1/100 is a full stop longer than a shutter speed of 1/200.
ISO 200 is a full stop of ISO less sensitive to light than ISO 400.

A lens aperture of f/4 is a full stop larger than f/5.6. With lens aperture you don't multiply/divide by 2, because lens aperture is about the area of the lens opening (not the diameter) you multiply/divide by 1.4142 (the square root of 2).

The ones the OP linked to are also RF and also reach a long way, but i'll probably get a set of those Yongnuo tranceivers to try out.

I had to try a set too. I can tell you they will reach all the way across a football field and not misfire.

You can use them to trigger a flash (or multiples) and as a shutter release (with included cable)

One thing that is GREAT is since they are transceivers, you can buy just one to add to your setup or you can buy an additional 'pair' and use them to fire two more strobes.

You can also use one on your camera with the included shutter cable, then put strobes on two of them, and put one transceiver in your hand. Now when you press the button in your hand the shutter will trigger and so will both strobes.

My only complaint is that they didn't put a switch on it to lock it into a hotshoe mount like I would have expected.

Thank you NikonME, I was looking at those but didnt really know the differences. I only knew that many had good luck with ctr-301p and the flash I wanted. However Ill look into getting the ones you mentioned and maybe two manual 560 instead of the one 468 since Ill be using them off camera anyway. Manual zoom is a bonus for me as well.

Last edited:
Thank you NikonME, I was looking at those but didnt really know the differences. I only knew that many had good luck with ctr-301p and the flash I wanted. However Ill look into getting the ones you mentioned and maybe two manual 560 instead of the one 468 since Ill be using them off camera anyway. Manual zoom is a bonus for me as well.

The RF-603 is new. I have not heard any range or sensitivity complaints. I like mine. I have four and will probably order 4 more just as spares. Youtube has some videos of them in use.

Most reactions

Back