ML-L3 Help

minuj23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Yongnuo ML-L3 for my nikon D90. Problem is I can't get it to work. I believe I did everything the manual said when taking a shot using a remote like place in a tripod/stable surface, cover the viewfinder and line the remote with the infrared port of my cam but still I can't get it to shoot. I don't know if it's broken or out of battery or if there is something I'm missing.

Take it to Best Buy or somewhere and try it on a display model. Did you set it to the icon indicated remote mode per page 68? The camera will enter standby mode if no operation performed in one minute? Is that it?

You sure you put the camera in remote mode?
Mine works perfectly once I figured out how to do it. lol

Do you see the icon (remote) the arrow is pointing to on your display?

HPIM3886 by djifreeman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Make sure there isn't a plastic tab separating the battery from the battery contacts. Sometimes things are shipped like that to prevent the battery from being drained before it's actually used.

I have the most success with my ML-L3 and D70 when I don't try to aim right for the IR port. Instead, I just point it at my subject. At least for indoor shots, the "bounce" off of my subject is usually enough for my camera to detect. Trying to point it at the camera never seems to work quite as well for me.

That brings up another point though - if you're using it outside in bright light, that could cause some trouble too.

yup.. i removed the plastic on the remote and i'm a thousand percent sure its in remote mode. I also tried it in remote timer mode. And tried it outdoors, indoors shooting directly infront of the IR and from behind. lol maybe it's broken then?

Hmmm weird. I have the Nikon ML L3 and it works perfectly. Are you positive its set to the right mode? On my D3000 i have to go to Menu and then under the Shooting menu i go to Release mode and at the bottom i select Quick - Response mode. You have to aim it sort of beside the on camera flash... Are you sure it came with a battery? Maybe you have to insert your own...? I know the Nikon ones come with a battery but maybe its different with the Yonguo or whatever brand you have.

yup bought it with battery inserted. put it in myself a few times already. Does anyone know the equivalent of Menu-->Release Mode--> Quick Response mode of the d3000 with the D90? I can't find it anywhere on menu.

Most reactions

Back