3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Very pink and sunburned looking people...what was the light source? Or is that all just light pollution from the red canvas flooring?? The color of the skin is pretty distracting to me at least.

yeah the red tint is distracting. and the 7th one (I think ha) is very noisy. but very good action shots, you really got some good moments with intense action.
maybe if you used a flash it could help eliminate the red tint on the bodies and you could also use it to get a more dramatic look.

The lighting is complete sh*t- an amalgam of tungsten, fluorescent, and fading sunlight. And yes, red is about the worst color there can be for a mat, be it a gym, boxing ring, or MMA cage.

No, I don't nor will I use a flash for fights- it's unprofessional, and potentially dangerous to the fighters. It slows productivity down, and it doesn't produce as good of results. I reluctantly do so when I shoot pro wrestling, but that's showmanship, not an actual contest.

Maybe converting to black and white can help a little, if you do that kind of thing? Well the action looks very good. Awesome KO shot of the ref pulling the fighter off the guy.

TJ

the skin looks unusually smooth..

noise reduction much?

Better for color= yes!

I know the ***** of shooting with red (concert photography) so I feel your pain about the other pics.

Yeah, music photography can be quite challenging in smaller venues, too. I've shot a few shows at a red channel obliterating iso 6400.

The light is garbage in this venue, and regardless of light source (I had 3 sources with 3 different color temperatures) that red mat is going to glow. I saw the images of 2 other photographers from this show, and if you think mine are off, you should see the feces these guys produced- one guy shooting with a 5D took unbalanced orange shots, and another shooting with a 1D got over-saturated, super grainy, blurry shots.

Yeah, music photography can be quite challenging in smaller venues, too. I've shot a few shows at a red channel obliterating iso 6400.

The light is garbage in this venue, and regardless of light source (I had 3 sources with 3 different color temperatures) that red mat is going to glow. I saw the images of 2 other photographers from this show, and if you think mine are off, you should see the feces these guys produced- one guy shooting with a 5D took unbalanced orange shots, and another shooting with a 1D got over-saturated, super grainy, blurry shots.

You are sort of confirming my thoughts that red and high ISO settings might have an issue. For some reason both red and green lights kill my photos.

Out of interest, have you tried to control your colors (the chart of colors after you pick your WB on a Nikon- not sure where it is on a Cannon)? I have yet to shoot these challenging shots in RAW to play with them after the fact instead of on the camera beforehand.

Not for this particular event, though I have in the past.

I don't shoot in RAW either. I just don't feel like I need the latitude, nor would I care to convert that many shots. With an event like this, it's lucky to have 1 in 5 that are keepers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back