Model A -photoshop before and after...

the sharpness kills any vintage feel. Cameras of the era you are trying to ape here were nowhere near that sharp.
Actually, good photographs from a 'vintage' area are often rather sharp. Consider that they may have been shot on sheet film...so with a very, very large negative, it's not hard to produce a very sharp print.

Sure, if they're well taken care of. I think what bothers me is the mixture of scratches and near perfect sharpness. Usually if it's that scratched, it's also generally worn, and thus lost a lot of sharpness. I mean ultimately it's more about people's feeling of what a vintage photo looks like than what any actual vintage photograph looks like. Perhaps to the OP it fits his image of what a vintage photo looks like. To others it might not.

I agree - it appears we're looking through a scratched mangled glass pane or window at a perfect view of an old car. I like the pic though but its razor sharp

I agree - it appears we're looking through a scratched mangled glass pane or window at a perfect view of an old car. I like the pic though but its razor sharp

yeah, another issue was that the subject felt like it would have been shot with a relatively low quality camera for the time. Of course some very nice cameras at that time were pretty razor sharp. But they typically weren't taking pictures of laundry trucks.

Last edited:
I love your post #14! I think it is perfect!

How about pulling a trick on a photo restorer? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I still see what the others are saying. It still just seems to "crisp". Like the reflections on the drivers front fender. If someone would ask "Old or Replica" I'd have to say replica. Sorry.

Just playin' around...
8276091643_d1d06bb35b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Also, with adjustable film and lens planes there was considerable control over DOF and perspective.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back