Moments for Reflection in the Big Apple

dsiglin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took the sister and brother in law to NYC for their first time. I spent most of my free time eating dumplings in Chinatown but on occasion I whipped out the Nex5n.

$NYC-1.jpg

Being a few days before Halloween there were quite a few people in appropriate dress. These two were especially impressive so I did the unthinkable and talked to strangers on the subway. When asked if they would let me take their photo they immediately posed but I told them to instead act like I wasn't there. I'm glad they did because I think the "humanity" of them have a quiet discussion is a great contrast with their macabre faces.

$NYC10.JPG

In the Metropolitan Museum of Art I did some long exposures to add some motion to photos of people staring at art. While taking this photo I was approached by a security guard who was interested in knowing about the Minolta lens I had on my camera. Turns out he has quite the collection of autofocus Minolta lenses but can no longer use them and was wondering how the in world I was. I gladly told him if he got himself a the right adapter and a Nex camera he can use them with phase detection AF.

$NYC8.JPG

Walking through central park I came across this scene. Nice to know that in the heart of the city that never sleeps one can have some solitude.

$NYC1.JPG

In the church near where the twin towers stood. I'm not sure what the memorial is for, maybe for twin towers, maybe for something else.

$NYC14.JPG

The hands of a man who has for 40 years made custom lighting from reclaimed items. It's hard to keep beautiful hands when you make beautiful objects. Then again a worn set of hands has a beauty all their own.

$NYC12.JPG

Richard was a sad looking bulldog patiently waiting on his master (the child).

$NYC11.JPG

On the Brooklyn side of NYC. I first saw this "phenomenon" in Venice, couples placing a lock on a bridge or pier.

Last edited:
Except for Central Park and locks, which are the weakest, imo, I like all of them in varying degrees.
I think the dog one is inarguably the best. (maybe could use a bit more of the child's head but great as it is.)

Yeah that dog had a face you just had to love with a very resigned personality to match.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back