Monitor list. Help me narrow it down pls.

timethief

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.x5.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to buy a new monitor mainly for the purpose of using it in the line of "photography"
Here is a list of the monitors that i need to choose from. Not sure if all these are IPS or not. Still haven't had enough time to go through the entire list.
I have read some reviews and seen a few of these monitors physically.
If you are familliar with this list of monitors do you think you can suggest a top 3 or maybe even a top 5.
Would appreciate the help.
Thanks in advance.
LCD DELL 24" P2412H
LCD DELL 24" ST2420L LED FULL HD
LCD DELL 24" U2412M
LCD DELL 27" U2711
LCD DELL 30" U3011
LCD HP 27" ZR2740W
LCD LG 24" E2442V LED
LCD SAMSUNG 24" S24B300HL-LED
LCD SAMSUNG 27" LS27A750D
LCD SAMSUNG 27" LS27B550VS
LCD VIEWSONIC 27" VA2703-LED

So you want US to do the research for you that is going to take a good hour or two?
Yeah, you picked a great screen name!
Sorry, my friend. Garbz has the best advice we can give you.

That's one long ass list you want us to shorten for you. You know your needs in a monitor better than we do. Your better off doing the research your self plus this way your choices will more likely be in your budget zone.

So you want US to do the research for you that is going to take a good hour or two?
Yeah, you picked a great screen name!
Sorry, my friend. Garbz has the best advice we can give you.

I didnt ask anyone to do any research for me. I simply asked the forum. "If you are familliar with this list of monitors do you think you can suggest a top 3.."
There is no reason to be hostile. I didnt join the forum yesterday nor is this my first post. you need to chill.
If you have no suggestions there is no need to be redundant.

Last edited:
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]LCD DELL 24" U2412M
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Just got this and love it.

Buy an Eizo if you have money, a NEC if you have less money and if you don't have enough to afford either, then save until you do. An IPS type of monitor is mandatory. For any monitor you're considering, make sure you check out how much of the Adobe RGB gamut the monitor can produce. It needs to be at least 95%.

If you're selling your photos to anyone who will print them, your color management is arguably the most important part of your workflow. You should invest just as much, if not more, in your monitor/calibration solution as you do in your bodies/lenses.

make sure you check out how much of the Adobe RGB gamut the monitor can produce. It needs to be at least 95%.

That is a load of crap and will likely leave you sorely disappointed if you do anything other than photography with your computer.
1. The internet is sRGB.
2. Every awesome photo you have ever seen on your computer is sRGB.
3. Very few photos end up with the required colour information to take advantage of the larger gamut. Those that do have either artificial lighting, sunsets, or cyans typically visible in only the most wonderful of ocean waters.
4. There's no going back with a wide gamut monitor. You are forced to colour manage your entire workflow.
5. Most programs out there are not colour managed and you suddenly will find yourself severely restricted in what software you use if you value things like real colour. As a side note does Adobe Dreamweaver support colour management yet? Web design may start to be out of the question with some monitors and some of the most popular design tools.
6. What are you hoping to get out of it? To do wide gamuts properly takes a lot of effort. You need to save your files, remember to convert them before you take them to printers, give them to friends, upload them to the net, and ultimately your monitor is the only one which will see the pictures as you intended, unless you print your photos.

Sorry I think this bad advice. Likewise is the notion that you desperately need an NEC or Eizo monitor. There are a large range of great budget IPS monitors on the market now, and looking back I probably wouldn't have dropped the insane amounts on the NEC I have if they were available to me. Side by side photos on my NEC look very similar to any other colour calibrated IPS display, including the $300 one I have at work (predecessor to Dell U2412M).

Most reactions

Back