Monitor settings

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am not technical and all the technical stuff makes my head spin, so I'm asking for some help. I have a MacBook Pro and an external monitor I use for editing pictures. I need help with the external monitor settings to make sure they are correct. I have a 24" Dell U2410 monitor. Right now the resolution is set at 1920X1200, color is set at DellU2410 and the refresh rate is 60 hertz.

1) Is the resolution ok?
2) Should I set the color to AdobeRGB?

The other resolution options are:
1600X1000
1280X800
1024x640

I use LR and PS. I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Thank you!

You need a calibration device, no other way to get accurate color/brightness. I like my colormunki, spyder also produces good calibration devices.

You need a calibration device, no other way to get accurate color/brightness. I like my colormunki, spyder also produces good calibration devices.

I have a colormunki.. I'm just wanting to know if my monitor settings are correct. Thanks!!

Just leave them set at the resolution and refresh rate they were designed for.

1) Yes
2) No. Unless you are shooting and printing in higher gamut ranges, but then you'll need to soft proof as most places use SRGB colour space.

1920x1200 sounds about right for that size of display and if you choose a lower setting you will probably see the image appears less sharp. For the colour hook up your ColorMunki and run through the calibration process.

I just looked up the Dell U2410 and it appears to be a very old display, dating back to 2009. I'm just wondering how accurate that display will be, even with calibration at this point. Did they release a newer version with the same name?

1920x1200 sounds about right for that size of display and if you choose a lower setting you will probably see the image appears less sharp. For the colour hook up your ColorMunki and run through the calibration process.

I just looked up the Dell U2410 and it appears to be a very old display, dating back to 2009. I'm just wondering how accurate that display will be, even with calibration at this point. Did they release a newer version with the same name?

Mine isn't quite that old.. I think I bought mine 3-4 years ago.

Yep.
Leave the display at it's native 1920 x 1200 resolution and the refresh rate at 60 hz (60 times per second).
Dell discontinued the U2410 a while back, but I don't remember exactly when.

According to the display specifications a Dell U2410 only has a 10-bit color depth (1.07 billion colors).
10-bits can code 1024 colors per color channel, and there are 3 color channels Red, Green, Blue (RGB)
1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1.07 billion.

Adobe's minimum system requirements include a display having a 16-bit color depth.
16-bits can code 16,384 colors per color channel.
16-bit displays are in a much higher price range than 10-bit displays.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back