Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
(yes, this is un-sharpened on purpose)

p1775977766-5.jpg

I really want to like this one, and I think I even DO. There's something about it that's taking me a little wrong, though. Some combination of the color palette and the softness, I think. The light is not convincingly brilliant, to my eye, and yet the scene suggests that it is quite bright. Possibly the material in the upper left corner is a little too open?

Possibly it's actually a misty, muggy, moist time of the day? Possibly it's brilliantly bright and sunny? I can't tell, and I wish I could.

The composition has a great deal to recommend itself. You like there near/far diagonals, don't you? The little square on the monk's butt and the white hat upper left are critical here, I think. I might actually bring those up a little, and maybe try to bring out some corresponding dark spots (monk's sandals, some of the dark heads upper left) as balancing spots of darkness.

Heck, I dunno, I think I might be tempted to crop the living daylights out of this shot.

I'd show you, but then you'd have to kill me.

I would take this out of your portfolio. Just a snapshot and blurred at that. Sometimes blurred images can get by if the subject makes up for it. In this case it does not.

Possibly it's actually a misty, muggy, moist time of the day? Possibly it's brilliantly bright and sunny? I can't tell, and I wish I could.

This brought up an interesting issue.
The picture looks less bright in a Chrome browser than it does in PS. or on Firefox.
I actually learnt this a couple of days ago.
I took a color sample from my website of the background and created a block sample in color profile sRGB with the sampled rgb values. I saved the sample and loaded onto my website and then resampled it. The rgb values were 3 or 4 units lower when displayed in a browser.

Any idea?

p1823948725-5.jpg

Heck, I dunno, I think I might be tempted to crop the living daylights out of this shot.

Assassination squad on the way not for thinking about it, but for saying something.
(actually go ahead)

I would take this out of your portfolio. Just a snapshot and blurred at that. Sometimes blurred images can get by if the subject makes up for it. In this case it does not.

I like it.
My opinion counts.
It stays.

You are absolutely right, it DOES look brighter in firefox. That's weird.

I still find the light ambiguous, though. It's not really brightness, I think it's a combination of color/softness/ratio that's throwing me. Somehow the visual cues (which I can't quite pin down) are not aligning for me, but are conflicting.

I like the second crop better. Nice shot.

Assassination squad on the way not for thinking about it, but for saying something.
(actually go ahead)

I nearly cropped the pole off, but the proportions wanted this:

Jim

$p1775977766-5.jpg

While I like the monk/motorcycle rider crops, I feel that they're a lot less interesting. It's tighter and more strict, which is a good thing, but I think it simplifies the image too much.

You've also got the problem of the stick on the ground pointing off to, now, nowhere. Clone it out if you're going to crop the stuff upper left off, in my opinion.

I like it. I like the reoccurring yellow and greens that you find throughout the photo. I also think the softness brings a gentle touch or feeling to the image. I think it says something that with everything going on in the frame I keep coming back to our subject. I do not like the crop.

Most reactions

Back