Mono Lake dawn - my freebe 2008 Calendar

David_Senesac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidsenesac.com
2008_cal_crop.jpg

With December here and the new year just weeks away, I just created my single page annual 2008 calendar with an image of a Mono Lake dawn from the US395 scenic viewpoint captured with my Coolpix this October as a background. The above is a small crop at 2x print size from that calendar. It includes each month's moon phases as small graphics beside appropriate dates and unique colors for holiday and special dates. Since I have strong Photoshop graphic skills, instead of using any of the many canned "create yer own calendar" applications, I always just build my own from a selected base image. A fun chore.

For this 2008 calendar free for personal only use, go to my below website homepage and click on the obvious sub-page link. The simple instructions for printing it out with any home inkjet printer are on that sub-page.

kind of a weird month arrangement if you ask me...
I woulda made them straight...even if they did get in the way of the photo. make em transparent a bit if it's that bad...but it's kinda of hard to look at.

Also, it took me 5 minutes to find the link. Maybe make your website a little neater...have links to separate pages in a link bar or something instead of throwing them all over. Just a friendly pointer.

kind of a weird month arrangement if you ask me...
I woulda made them straight...even if they did get in the way of the photo. make em transparent a bit if it's that bad...but it's kinda of hard to look at.

Also, it took me 5 minutes to find the link. Maybe make your website a little neater...have links to separate pages in a link bar or something instead of throwing them all over. Just a friendly pointer.

I'm sure there will always be a small number of viewers that find anything but the form of calendars they are used to seeing as being annoying. That is simply human nature. I've been making such annual calendars with a variance on the format several years for public use and on the balance they are well received. However I appreciate your bothering to make an input so thankyou.

As for not being able to locate the link, I don't at all understand what your issue was since it is below the top on the right of my below home page that should display with any browser immediately upon loading unless one was viewing on a really small open window. And it displays the link with an obvious sizeable text of "free downloadable 2008 Calendar" including three Christmas tree graphics next to it to get visitor's attention. I don't have a clue why a person would have trouble noticing that.

David,

nice calendar, thanks. It was right there under the obvious thumbnail .
The site is a little busy, but I'm not one to give you crap about it as you are giving me a free gift.
I wish more people on the forum had the tactfulness of a 13 year old. Or just simple thanks for someone going out of their way to share something; instead of trying to tear it down.

oh well,,

Thanks again.

Thorhammer,

Cool calendar- free has always been the best price for me. Mono Lake is an incredible place too.

Calendar is cool... Background is beautiful... layout of the last 3 months seem backwards... shouldnt they be Oct then Nov then Dec (as the first 6 months are done)?

Calendar is cool... Background is beautiful... layout of the last 3 months seem backwards... shouldnt they be Oct then Nov then Dec (as the first 6 months are done)?

I looked at Oct-Nov-Dec in the same orientation as the other months but decided on this variance just on a slight whim to be novel. Anything to be a bit different than usual canned calendar applications haha. You may notice Ja-Fe-Ma then Ap-Ma-Je then Ju-A-Se all have slight diagonal offsets from left to right top to down sequences while Oc-No-De not only changes the month top to down sequence direction but also offsets diagonally from left to right. One reason I did that is the top corner is opposite where 2008 comes in and that corner is appropriately dark for winter reflecting the year going out. I considered that people would normally expect any organization of months to follow some consistent pattern whatever that might be. But then I also reflected on how as long as there is some method of orderly adjacent sequencing, then people are not going to be bewildered going from month to month. In other words the key need is to have previous and following months placed next to each other and to not be too odd in sequencing such that one would spend an extra moment looking for something. My calendar last year had an even greater area of sky so I made a half moon month sequence from top left that curved down towards center about one-quarter above the image base then swung up to the top right corner. And in the past I made other more conventional patterns like this but without the variation. I'm amused someone so quickly noticed this, thanks. ...David

I looked at Oct-Nov-Dec in the same orientation as the other months but decided on this variance just on a slight whim to be novel. Anything to be a bit different than usual canned calendar applications haha. You may notice Ja-Fe-Ma then Ap-Ma-Je then Ju-A-Se all have slight diagonal offsets from left to right top to down sequences while Oc-No-De not only changes the month top to down sequence direction but also offsets diagonally from left to right. One reason I did that is the top corner is opposite where 2008 comes in and that corner is appropriately dark for winter reflecting the year going out. I considered that people would normally expect any organization of months to follow some consistent pattern whatever that might be. But then I also reflected on how as long as there is some method of orderly adjacent sequencing, then people are not going to be bewildered going from month to month. In other words the key need is to have previous and following months placed next to each other and to not be too odd in sequencing such that one would spend an extra moment looking for something. My calendar last year had an even greater area of sky so I made a half moon month sequence from top left that curved down towards center about one-quarter above the image base then swung up to the top right corner. And in the past I made other more conventional patterns like this but without the variation. I'm amused someone so quickly noticed this, thanks. ...David

Oh dont get me wrong, I love the orientation of the months.... seems to follow the horizon almost... love the idea, just the inverting of the Oct-Dec threw me off is all... :hail::hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back