Monopod Questions

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I'm using an aluminum monopod (cheapie but very sturdy) for most of my shots and having trouble controlling camera shake. It's not a whole lot of shake but I did notice it when I was shooting yesterday. I don't have the prints yet so I'm not sure just how bad it is. What's the best way to hold one while shooting? I have a tripod however it doesn't extend high enough (I'm 6'1).

Also, lens hoods, what is the difference between the cutout style (cut on the side and fully extended on top) and a standard hood that extends all the way around the lens? Is there any real advantage to either kind?
Thanks

Dylan

Lens hoods: The use of cut-outs is to avoid vignetting in the corners of the image when a wide angle lens is used, or when a wide angle - normal lens is used at the wide angle end of the range. Hoods used for standard lenses and telephotos do not need cut-outs due to the narrower viewing angle of the lens.

... also on some zoom lenses the foremost elemts might rotate, there you are in trouble with a cut out lens hood, as it might accidentally and unnoticed rotate from horizontal into vertical, giving a lot of vignetting. Here the round ones are safer.

A cut out lens hood as used for wide angle is basically shaped as a projection of the rectangle of your film or sensor onto the cone or tube which the hood represents. If you look at it in a simplified way you could even imagine the outmost rays of light coming onto the lens (very simplified).

As for the monopod, does your shake have a preferred orientation? Is it maybe just your motion when you press the shutter release?

Of course a monopod will never give the stability of a tripod as it only removes motion in one coordinate (vertically), but not the other two.
It certainly is a great help compared to free handed shooting though.

How to hold it, depends on if you have a lightweight or heavy camera/lens combination and also is a thing of personal preference. supporting it by pressing it slightly onto one of your legs/knee might give further stabilisation.
This of course only works if your legs do not shake when that Grizzly prepares for attack ;)

Also, when using your monopod... if you have a little bit of time to get the image,
you can always set your self timer to a 2 second delay. This way you don't have
the motion of your hand pressing the button to deal with. A MUST for tripod
shots, but found it does seem to help with monopod shots as well. :)

There's two things I'd think to say about the monopod issue....

Firstly, if you're too tall for it, then you're going to be at an awkward angle and this *will* make you shake.

Secondly, if you're using a long lens, they often have a collar on them which is a better centre of gravity if you're not already using it.

It should be noted that monopods are not as stable as perhaps a tripod, so it is worth looking at your exposure times. I reckon I can double the exposure length with one, so I can shoot a 400mm lens at 1/200th without too much of a problem.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back