Moody Blues- Layers of Fog

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
fogpng.png

I LOVE scenes like this, and have been waiting for months for the right conditions to line up. After the rain cleared last night just before sunset, I raced to a spot near my apartment that has full 360 degree views. This image was around 20 minutes after sunset during blue hour, taken with my 150-600 at 450mm. I shot 6-7 vertical photos but ended up only using 5 to stitch.

C&C can hurt but is always appreciated, thanks!

Very nice. If this was mine, I would be printing it out and hanging it on my wall.

Have you tried converting this to black and white? I am thinking that with a little processing , it would look very nice in black and white. There is a good range of contrast from the pure black shadows to the white of the "fog/clouds".

WesternGuy

Very nice. If this was mine, I would be printing it out and hanging it on my wall.

Have you tried converting this to black and white? I am thinking that with a little processing , it would look very nice in black and white. There is a good range of contrast from the pure black shadows to the white of the "fog/clouds".

WesternGuy

Thanks! I did try converting it to b+w as there is a nice range of pure black and greys, but there wasn't any pure whites really, and trying to add more contrast to the brights made it look weird. If I still had silver efex I bet I could've done a nice conversion

WesternGuy

Thanks! I did try converting it to b+w as there is a nice range of pure black and greys, but there wasn't any pure whites really, and trying to add more contrast to the brights made it look weird. If I still had silver efex I bet I could've done a nice conversion

If you want, I have silver efex and would be happy to run it through and see what I could come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing shot, and I actually love the editing. Something tells me B&W wouldn't look as good!

Very nice. makes me want to take a nap ! very calming.

I think Silver Efex crushed it. Not sure which version I like more though--I really dig the blue tones in the original...

Damn, the web has been crushing shadow detail lately..

Jake

The b+w conversion does look good, but I do like the subdued blues a lot. I actually toned down the blue a touch in the final print version cause adding contrast also added a little more saturation than I wanted

The b+w conversion does look good, but I do like the subdued blues a lot. I actually toned down the blue a touch in the final print version cause adding contrast also added a little more saturation than I wanted

Yeah. The black and white is nice, but the blue tones give it that extra "oomph"

[emoji106]

Yeah. The black and white is nice, but the blue tones give it that extra "oomph"

[emoji106]

here is the final version, really liking the way this looks printed

fog2.jpg

D-B-J, I think you might be right, the B&W conversion doesn't look as good as I was hoping it might. It may be that there is too much contrast or dynamic range for the Silver Efex software to handle it - don't know. It was an experiment that didn't work - win some lose some, but then that is what trying to be creative in our imagery that makes it fun! :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

It's mono-chromatic as it is. I like this but first saw it on th phone so was waiting to get home and see it on the 'big screen'. I would've lightened the distance more and softened it (contrast) a little, but that's just my aesthetics, I also like the way you've done it

Most reactions

Back