Moonrise Over Treeline

Sidewinder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This photograph is titled "Moonrise Over Treeline":

Moonrise_Over_Treeline_by_MrRichards.jpg

While I like the general outcome of the picture, there are some issues, I'd like to address here. The photograph was done with a Canon EOS 400D and the EF-S 28-55mm Objective, ISO 100, f/22, 38mm focal length. I did one exposure for the field and treelines and one for the sky and moon and later on combined them in Photoshop. The black & white conversion was done in Lightroom and Photoshop.
When I look at the picture, I realise that it is not as sharp as it was intended to be, it still looks a bit mushy, especially in the treeline, and I am not sure, where this issue comes from. I used a tripod, I used mirror lock-up, I used a remote release for the camera and I focused on the lower treeline. So I basically did all to ensure that the photograph should be as sharp as possible.
I have to admit that I used auto-focus, which can cause issues at conditions with lower lights, but I really checked more than once, if the photograph was focused correctly.
The problem of "mushy" landscapes also occures during daylight conditions, whereas close-up photographs, I take (see Grain & Leaves Thread) are usually ways sharper.
So for a lack of any better ideas, I wonder if this is simply some kind of issue with the 18-55mm kit objective. I wonder, if it simply reaches its limitations there.

Thanks a lot for any inupt.

Regards,
Sebastian

I love the texture of the grasses in the foreground. I'm not so sure about the moon and the clouds, they seem a little blah.
I would have done a double exposure with a larger moon and no clouds, but then, it's not my picture.

He mentioned that he did use two exposures actually...

A lot of people ive heard had problems with that lens i began noticing its flaws and limitations very quickly after using it... that MIGHT be part of the issue here...

Thanks a lot for the first two replies.
Yes, I did use two exposures, unfortunately I don't have the chance right now to make a larger exposure of the moon, since even at 55mm, it doesn't come out really large. So I think I'll have to go with what I have at the moment.

I really feared that the quality of the lens might be an issue here, after all, I guess you have to take into account that it's a relatively cheap one.

Most reactions

Back