More about editing...

jenn76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicmemories.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This isn't one of the best photos I did yesterday, but it's a quick good example. How would you go about making the background whiter? Let me make this a 2 part question... how could I have made it whiter during the shoot, and how can I make it whiter in post? Thanks in advance! You guys are always helpful!

And BTW, I have Gimp, or I could d/l a trial version of something... whatever works!

IMG_2633.jpg

Last edited:
first you dont want the subjects so close to the backdrop, because it casts shadows (thats why its darker around the people, and brighter at the top) that will help make it whiter... another way would be to have a flash behind the people, ... also ensuring that your white sheet truly is WHITE, helps as well.. there are many shades of white..

i was trying to find a quote that was told to me.. I think it was big mike..couldnt find it, but it had something to do with not setting up yor backdrop in a way that it is part of the picture... you dont want your focus to be the backdrop.. just the people

Thanks Chris. The backdrop is definitely white... I will keep in mind to have them further away from the backdrop next time. That did work with some pics, although I didn't have them in the same spot each time, apparently. So do you know how to use Gimp or something to select the backdrop, then turn it white?

Thanks Chris. The backdrop is definitely white... I will keep in mind to have them further away from the backdrop next time. That did work with some pics, although I didn't have them in the same spot each time, apparently. So do you know how to use Gimp or something to select the backdrop, then turn it white?

it would involve some masking layers... you would want a layer of just eh backdrop, then change the color there, using a combination of exposure bumping and contrast... then on the second layer just the people... and expose them properly

I was able to fumble my way through this one without doing all that... I selected the background, then "filled with background color" to white. I had a hard time selecting the background without it selecting other things that I didn't want to be white though. I haven't used Gimp before... I know photoshop very little and Gimp is similar, but I was really having a hard time with the selection tool, which I remember from Photoshop days, too. Any suggestions?

IMG_2628.jpg

One thing I like to do is to open curves and choose the white dropper...select the area I want white, and it does all the rest. I would then make a mask and remove that action in areas like the man's shirt...because doing what I just described will probably wash out any detail in that area.

Cheers,
Lance

That's interesting Ron. I just thought it looked a lot "cleaner" with the bright white. I haven't cropped it at all... do you think it's just too bright because of all the white at the top? Would cropping help? Or do others think the same thing, that the bright white is too much?

There is something to be said for a gray background but the one in the first shot is really distracting.

The way to get a clean white background straight out of the camera is to have a light that is a lot brighter than your subject lights, and point it at the background so that it blows out white. In post you might still need to clean up the background a little to make sure it is all evenly toned, using a dodge tool.

Jenn, I do not think cropping will help because there is still going to be the extreme white about the subject. I also am interested in the opinions of others as I am often the only one in step in the parade.

The family pic immediately brought a smile to my face with that impish boy out fount.

There is something to be said for a gray background but the one in the first shot is really distracting.

The way to get a clean white background straight out of the camera is to have a light that is a lot brighter than your subject lights, and point it at the background so that it blows out white.

I agree. I don't like the background in the first shot at all. It needs to be gray or white, and it's neither! I will definitely work on getting another light... should I just get a continuous light for that? Which route do I take with these pics? Make them bright white in PP, or something else? Is the bright white too much?

I really need to take a class in editing! Anyone want to have a go at editing (primarily the background) of either of the photos I've posted? I'm curious to see what you'd do with them. I'm not sure which way to go here! Thanks!

I agree...way too harsh. Did you select the boy? If so, try to feather the edges a bit.

I selected the background actually. I am not good with heavy editing... I usually try to shoot where I just need a little brightening, sharpening, and cropping, etc. I think I saw an option of feathering, but I wasn't sure what it meant. :blushing:

To achieve a white background in camera you need to light the backdrop seperately and evenly, at least two lights and approximately 2 stops brighter than your subject lights, so f22 for backgound, f11 for subject, have your subjects as far from the backdrop as possible, 5ft or more, then light them up to f11 and shoot at f11. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back