landscape scenes...C&C please

ATXshots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please C&C these two photos, what can I do better?

3105079262_597070a788.jpg

I edited this one to look 'old' did I go overboard?
2919738867_c83e02789e.jpg

original:
3104246773_85dcbd4215.jpg

Also, a few questions about editing...is there a specific order you edit things? Example, levels, curves, contrast, ect.?

On the first one...you lead my eye well to the water but then there is nothing to ground me there...like a main subject. But I like you attempt at composing your elements.

The 2nd shot definitely makes the 3rd more interesting. You've done well to include foreground elements but nothing is too interesting to capture my attention. Then my eye just drifts down the river to no mans land.

My suggestion is to compose simpler images. I go to locations like this too, and almost never come away with anything great unless I have one good thing to focus on. Like a boat, bird, or dock.

Editing is a style and there is not secret recipe. I usually like to sharpen first on a new layer, then levels, then curves. But its whatever works for the image. Stick with the old theme if you like that. There are a lot of tutorials online that can give you some ideas.

Cheers,
Lance

Thank you lance for your critique...I see what you mean about photographing 'simpler' images. It would probably be easier composition wise to get a good shot.

Ron, do you think the shot would be better without the fence? Not too boring? I stink at getting good landscape shots.

Anyone else? I usually don't get very many critiques; is it b/c my photos are just way too beginner like to critique?

Ron, do you think the shot would be better without the fence?

Indeed I do.

Tis hard to tell why some pics get reviews & not others but I am sure it has nothing to do with you being a beginner as this is the forum for us.

I think if you would've taken the picture just beyond the fence, and maybe tried a different angle (maybe ground?) it would have been composed much better. Good try though.

#2 just looks kinda odd to me, I'm trying to pinpoint it, but it seems like it's too green.

What did you do to #2? I LOVE the post-processing job. The sky is a little washed out, but you can't really do much for that... aside from blending photos or waiting for a different day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back