more b&w portraits (kids) C&C please

wlsmoku

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
round 2 on learning b&w portriats. still working on finding hotter lights so I can get my ISO down....still not where it needs to be (250 current pics), but if you have any constructive C&C(be as harsh as you need to be) please feel free:
lighting is a single 4ft shop light and a flashlight :blushing::blushing::blushing:
073108DSC_0006bw.jpg

073108DSC_0013bw.jpg

073108DSC_0019bw.jpg

073108DSC_0020bw.jpg

073108DSC_0023bw.jpg

073108DSC_0025bw.jpg

073108DSC_0027bw.jpg

073108DSC_0030bw.jpg

073108DSC_0034bw.jpg

073108DSC_0035bw.jpg

073108DSC_0036bw.jpg

073108DSC_0038bw.jpg

073108DSC_0041bw.jpg

073108DSC_0044bw.jpg

Um.......I can tell it's a flashlight and I'm not really digging the spotlight effect that flash light is giving. Composition wise, I think you might........MIGHT have something going but if you really want to get some good portraits, you might consider an external flash or maybe a fast 50mm prime lens. Like a 1.8 so you can let more light in.

What were these shot with? Camera and lens wise

~Michael~

Um.......I can tell it's a flashlight and I'm not really digging the spotlight effect that flash light is giving. Composition wise, I think you might........MIGHT have something going but if you really want to get some good portraits, you might consider an external flash or maybe a fast 50mm prime lens. Like a 1.8 so you can let more light in.

What were these shot with? Camera and lens wise

~Michael~

Michael,
honestly I think your spot on....i'm just tryin to do what I can on the cheap.

body is a Nikon D80 - lense is a Sigma 18-50mm

There's NOTHING wrong with shooting at an ISO of 250; I routinely shoot at 320 just because I find it convenient. 14 images is more than I am able to provide individual critique on, however here are some general comments:

-Lose the flashlight; you make acceptable photolights with bright workshop lights and tissue-paper to act as a diffuser. You can also create some interesting results using a snoot.

-Your poses are nice

-B&W conversions need a lot of work; they're almost all midtones with no true black or white. You need more light and more contrast.

-1/15 of a second is way too slow for portrait work. 1/60 is the absolute minimum, and I would recommend 1/125-1/200 to ensure no camera shake or subject movement.

-Try going out-of-doors, and using natural light to get some practice with the basics before you tackle studio work.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary

~John

Michael,
honestly I think your spot on....i'm just tryin to do what I can on the cheap.

body is a Nikon D80 - lense is a Sigma 18-50mm

Dive that 50 1.8 a try. I've got one and love it for this kind of work. You might be surprised.

Let me rephrase what I was trying to say: It's ok to use a flashlight (what am I talking about) if you HAVE to, but right on in the face, it give a weird look.

Out of all of these I like #2 and 7. I wish 7 was a little bit brighter though.

Nice work, like I was saying, but definately some improvment. I would try out the diffusion technique tirediron mentioned. I think you may get more satisfying results.

~Michael~

I have to agree... (especially in #7) too much mid-tone. More contrast and exposure.
I must say, I like the spotlight look in #2. It's fun to experiment with light. Live and learn, right?

#7 was no flashlight - probably why it's bleh. the more I look at the amazing shots a lot of you people are doing here, the more I hate mine hahaa.... but I will learn. thanks everyone - I really appreciate the lessons!!

Not liking the flashlight technique. THe images are too grainy and blurry either from motion or poor focus. The backdrop also looks like a sheet. You could work on the posing some, and it definitely needs allot of pp work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back