I haven't used that method but I found when I tried to get her to stand out a little bit more, I started losing color details in the shirt behind her sweater. She's about a stop and a tad more lighter than she started. My tricks for this image was getting her and the foredeck sharp without having it bleed into the water and sky and getting a good golden hour sun on the deck and on the highlights of the chairs. I'm really starting to like this luminosity blending technique but it sure is complicated.
Can you give me a quick tutorial on using the history brush to do a blending mode?
I think the lady pretty much stands out enough to be the focal point. The curves just work to lead the eye in until the color in her skirt and the organic form of her upturned arms can take over. I like the ambiguity of not knowing who she is and being able to intrude on her moment without her knowledge, or for that matter, her consent. I wonder if you would see this the same way if she was naked? Does everything have to always have that "in your face," take or can there still be a story with only a little subtlety? I vote for the latter but I generally march to the tune of a different drummer...and so it goes.
I think the lady pretty much stands out enough to be the focal point. The curves just work to lead the eye in until the color in her skirt and the organic form of her upturned arms can take over. I like the ambiguity of not knowing who she is and being able to intrude on her moment without her knowledge, or for that matter, her consent. I wonder if you would see this the same way if she was naked? Does everything have to always have that "in your face," take or can there still be a story with only a little subtlety? I vote for the latter but I generally march to the tune of a different drummer...and so it goes.
I wasn't trying to upset you just giving you a very honest opinion. And to answer your question, yes I would say the same thing if she was naked. Because if she was naked she would probably fill frame to be the focus.
I was trying to state a position of subtle over in your face. Of course I could have made her larger. I was shooting with a 70-200. I could have filled her right ear in most of the frame, but it was the whole ambiance of the morning, of her response to the sun rising, and of the light I felt needed capturing; it was a very private moment for her; I thought it was pretty special too, hence my take on the crop...but then you weren't there so your crop choices would of course be different. I think we all sometimes forget this when we post...the moment we shoot is ours and sometimes that just doesn't translate.