Question about focus and F stop and ISO and Shutter speed, so pretty much everything.

Some thoughts:

What is your experience level?
Is this the first time you have shot this event?
If you shot it before, what was your results?

> Was trying to shoot on f2.8, with 800 and 6000ISO.
Did you mean 1/800 sec shutter speed?
You want to be faster than 1/500 sec. Preferably up at 1/1000.

Are your pics FULL frame or cropped and centered on the dog?
I am trying to determine WHERE the AF point was when the camera fired.
Did you MISS putting the AF point on the dog, and had the AF point on the background?
Following a fast moving subject is difficult, especially when quickly switching from subject A to subject B.
When I shoot sports, I have a LOT of pics where the focus is of the background, because I missed getting the AF point ONTO the subject, instead it was on the background.

AF limitation. AF needs contrast to focus. It has difficulty focusing on mono-color subjects.
And I see that the dogs have large single color patches or are mono-colored.

If you are shifting from dog A to dog B in different parts of the arena, and this is the first shot of dog B, it could be that the lens is still focusing on dog B when the shutter fired.
When I shoot volleyball, I often have that problem when shifting from player A to player B, and immediately firing. Frame 1 is usually OOF, but frame 2 and on are in focus.
But with another lens (Tamron 17-50/2.8), the lens won't be in focus until frame 3 to 5. The AF motor is slower.

Another thought is a prefocusing issue.
View attachment 256671
It looks like you may have prefocused on the far side support stand.
But the dog is closer to you.
When the dog went through, the lens is still focused on the support stand on the far side of the dog.
If you prefocus, you have to prefocus where the dog will be, not behind the dog.
My first time shooting agility indoor, I did some outside with my 18-140 with f5.6 and it looks good. I think I do need to practice panning for sure, but it is only one dog at a time so I follow it with AFC -Cenre.

I honestly think it has to do with the back focus. I took these pictures outside with on 200mm F2.8, 1/250, ISO 100 with the same camera position, target was the orange nose.

Live view is almost on point, and these are both with -20 already on AF fine tune. I may have to go the the camera store to see if they can suggest something about this...

My first time shooting agility indoor, I did some outside with my 18-140 with f5.6 and it looks good. I think I do need to practice panning for sure, but it is only one dog at a time so I follow it with AFC -Cenre.

I honestly think it has to do with the back focus. I took these pictures outside with on 200mm F2.8, 1/250, ISO 100 with the same camera position, target was the orange nose.

Live view is almost on point, and these are both with -20 already on AF fine tune. I may have to go the the camera store to see if they can suggest something about this...
Looks like the lens is capable of delivering sharp images and it looks like it is back focusing. Use + number in AF Fine Tune to correct for back focusing until the Live View and Viewfinder images look the same. If it won't walk in, then you might need to get Tamron Customer Service involved.

Thank you everyone for your advice and help with this. I took it to a camera shop and as I suspected - it had to go back for repairs. ON the bright side - I did not spend too much on it and from what the staff member said - it still focuses very fast, great condition for the age, something may have just shifted inside to get the focus out of alignment... Hopefully it will only a short time to get that fixed up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back