More focus confusion...

moze229

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did something happen to my lens? This is a photo I took on this same exact day a year ago.

_MG_4141.jpg

Now when I try and take a photo of the moon, I cannot get that clarity. I'm not referring to the half-moon/full-moon bit. I know that the moon will show more detail when it is not full. I'm referring to the clarity. I've tried auto-focus, and an infinite number of manual focuses in and around where the moon gets as clear as I can get it through the view finder. What am I doing wrong? The lens seems to be performing just fine otherwise.

Sigma DG 70-300mm

The photo above is shot @:

300mm
ISO 100
Aperture 11
1/100 shutter (The image has been exposure compensated and sharpened slightly)

I've tried these same settings, along with dropping the aperture up to 8 and back down to 16. I am also using a tripod with remote release. Is it the humidity? The height of the moon in the sky? Thanks in advance. This is driving me crazy!

Matt

You should probably post a picture of what is not working so it's easier to see what you mean.

OK. I'll try and salvage one and put it up to see. Or, we could just imagine the same picture I posted already, except a full moon and out of focus. Same exact settings. :lol:

It could just be atmospheric conditions. The lower the moon is in the sky, the more atmosphere you're shooting through too.

You might have to just wait for better conditions...

It could just be atmospheric conditions. The lower the moon is in the sky, the more atmosphere you're shooting through too.

You might have to just wait for better conditions...
Absolutely.

Astronomical observatories aren't put on just any convenient high mountain. They do extensive testing at many sites to make sure there are enough nights per year with good atmospheric conditions.

As Josh alluded to, if you shoot straight up the atmosphere is about 50 miles thick. As you lower the camera towards horizontal their ismore atmosphere between you and the Moon. At the horizon 3 times more which is why the Moon look so much redder. All that atmosphere has absorbed almost all the blue light.

Most reactions

Back