More megapixels vs sensor size

Comparing the 2 on a computer monitor may not show you all that much difference as would enlarging the images to say 16 x 20. You would have to go much larger to see a huge difference. However, schlepping around a FF body with a 500mm lens compared to your 4/3rds with a 300mm is a huge difference physically. If you are happy with what your are getting from you 4/3rds then, it ain't broke, don't fix it. (just my old fart humble opinion)
Ain't that the truth. As big as I blow up photo's is 12x24 and whatever the pixels are in my camera, it suits me just fine. For me to go to a FF camera would not be about being better but soothing my own ego!

I have both a Nikon Z50 (crop frame) and a Z5 (full frame). The difference I see comes down to 1 stop. The FF has 1 stop shallower DoF with comparable FoV lenses than the crop. As an example, a 50mm FF lens has the same FoV as a 35mm crop lens. But the 50mm has 1 stop shallower DoF meaning with the 50mm set to f/2.8 the 35mm crop would have to be set to f/2.0 to have the same DoF. The other difference I have noticed has been with high ISO settings. The FF has about the same noise level at 6400 as the crop frame has at 3200. This ends up being a bigger difference when working in low light or in higher contrast shots where you need to recover shadow detail. But, with frames shot in good light and are well exposed I can't see much if any difference. So my kit these days consists of the Z5 with a 24-70 and the Z50 with a 50-250.

Lately I've been shooting a Nikon D850 which is a FF with 45 mp. So this is a FF sensor with a lot of tiny pixels. As I mentioned earlier, I also have a Nikon Z50 which has roughly the same size pixels but with smaller crop frame sensor. I can set the D850 to Crop mode (19 mp) and the pictures from the 20mp Z50 and the 19mp D850 in crop mode look identical to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back