More Megapixels?

Speaking of "more megapixels"...Pentax's new 645, the just-released model, is using a new CMOS sensor of just over 51 effective megapixels, which means the remaining 40-MP Pentax 645's are already losing retail price from the big dealers.

Pentax is undercutting the new Hasselblad and Phase systems that both use this SAME 51 MP CMOS sensor...of course, they HAVE to be priced lower...they are Pentax, not Hasselblad nor Phase.

That camera is tempting me - I have the original 645D and may sacrifice my D800 (not my D800E) for the new model. By all accounts the ISO will go up to 200k. I won't be pushing it that high, but my 645D is now 3 years old,just a matter of getting it in the right market when it is released - due end of May

Let's see...Fuji's entire X-series line 16 MP sensor in all of them....Olympus OM-D line...16MP sensors....Panasonic GH3, has a...16 megapixel sensor...the Canon APS-C lineup...18 MP sensor in all of them...

Nikon D4 and D4s and Df...all three use basically, the same 16 megapixel sensor...the Canon 1DX...has an 18.1 megapixel sensor....

Hmmm..it SEEMS LIKE five leading manufacturers of cameras all produce about 25 or so models that have...16- to 18-megapixel sensors.

Huh...whoda' thunk it, right?????

Lol.. well having gone from a 16 mp to a 24 mp myself not to long ago I think there is probably a pretty straightforward explanation as to why this might be, at least in my experience the 16 mp doesn't show the errors in technique nearly as clearly as the 24 does, gives you a little more wiggle room for the less experienced shooter.

But oh brother when you do get a little experience under your belt and improve your technique enough that 24 mp sensor is amazing, well worth the price of admission IMHO.

Why do you suppose the Nikon D4s has a price of admission of right around $6,495, and features "only" a 16-MP sensor? Is it because that's a beginner's camera, or a novice's camera?

No, it's because when the D4 was designed, that MP sensor was state of the art. If the same camera was being designed today, it would no doubt have at LEAST a 36 MP sensor

Last edited:
I wonder if this new sensor also shoots only 11-bit RAW images? Not that anybody cares...

I care. I care very deeply.

Hmm.. ok, no not really. You got me on that one.. lol. If Sony ever does settle down and it looks like they might actually throw some support behind one or maybe even two systems and convince me that they'll still be making them a few years from now then I'd probably give them a more serious look. As it is they are so all over the map I just couldn't even think about investing in Sony as a system, not at this stage. Well that and the EVF thing.. ick. Lol

I've seen many beautiful top notch resolution pictures from the SONY Nex line. Not sure of the A7's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back