More pics for C&C

KP1984

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Theses are a few more pics for C&C. All were taken with my D3000 with the kit 18-55mm vr lens

DSC_5271_zps204361db.jpg

DSC_5285_zps76518065.jpg

DSC_5683_zps28575bbe.jpg

DSC_5684_zps90028e00.jpg

DSC_8113_zps84b8daec.jpg

DSC_7220_zps983a2b11.jpg

Too many to comment on, but you psoted pictures of statues so I have to comment on that.

Pictures of statues are generally pretty crappy. You're taking a picture of someone else's art. That leaves you with two options...

1. Inventory (which is basically what you have) - a shot of the art. Period. "Here it is. Ok, next..."
2. Re-interpretation.

The latter is really the only thing you can do that will be artistic in its own right. You have to show us something we didn't or wouldn't necessarily see on our own, or give us some perspective that is unique or special.

The latter is really the only thing you can do that will be artistic in its own right. You have to show us something we didn't or wouldn't necessarily see on our own, or give us some perspective that is unique or special.
That applies to sooooooo many subjects, like flowers, for one example.

That applies to sooooooo many subjects, like flowers, for one example.

mmm... yeah, good point actually.

I feel like it's particularly so with artwork, however, but I'll admit I'm struggling to give a reason why.

Damnit.

Here, look at this and become distracted by the cuteness so I can run away...

bunny-cute-21.jpg

OK I can understan what you're saying. I kinda thought I at least had an interesting shot down the middle of the flowers but maybe not. I suppose I still need to develop a little more of an artistic eye.

Last edited:
face-value, your statue shots don't appear to be level and the angles aren't that appealing. if you're going to "inventory" other people's art, it could at least be aesthetically pleasing.

flower shot is a typical macro shot with bokeh, and all macro shots look good. you'd have to TRY to get a bad macro shot like that. too much space above in the toddler picture. crop. the horizon picture seems to have no subject to it. it's okay to have no subject but there has to be a reward of some sort for looking in the details. in your case, there isn't. it looks empty.

I totally agree with Mannaheim on this issue. I often take photos of statues and art that I've seen, but I almost never publish them on the web because I almost feel fraudulent doing it! I recently posted two shots of statues from a trip to Rome in my blog and I had to convince myself I was doing it for illustrative purposes and not posting it as my own art.

There's nothing wrong with photographing statues, sculptures or even paintings. But consider exactly what it is you're showing and what is the most iportant. Is it the other person's art (in which case you should show it as clearly and plainly as possible), or is it your photo of it (in which case, the quality of your photo must eclipse the piece of art itself)?

OK I can understan what you're saying. I kinda thought I at least had an interesting shot down the middle of the flowers but maybe not. I suppose I still need to develop a little more of an artistic eye.

Don't be down-hearted. It's all part of the learning! The most important thing is to enjoy the hunt for that angle that really captures your subject in a unique way. Take lots of photos of the same thing from all different angles and look for the killer angle! Keep doing it and keep posting them here, then you'll have a record of your progress :)

Last edited:
Bitter, Thanks for the link. I will try to find the book this weekend maybe. Forkie, thanks for your reply and advice as well. I certainly appreciate any good advice I can get.

Most reactions

Back