more sofbox help

goodoneian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i was recently lent a decent sized softbox, and i'm really liking what i can do with it so far, so i'd probably like to invest in one of my own sometime. i've been using it on my sb-80dx on a lightstand which i had to rigg very odly since the ring on the sofbox was too large to fit in my flash head.

my question being what do i need to get to fit a softbox onto my lightstand correctly while using a speedlight rather than a studio strobe? i'm i'm guessing i need some kind of speed ring?(i really have no idea)

any help is appreciated

Last edited:
this is how i currently have it mounted:

3027151460_eba750213e.jpg

it works but it's kind of sketchy needless to say

will that only work for the photoflex softbox though?

A battery powered strobe is way too weak to power the needs of a large softbox. About the biggest you could effectively use is 12 X 24 or something slightly larger.

If you want the same effect as a 36 X 72 inch softbox using nothing more than 2 umbrellas and 2 strobes and get a very nice effect:

2836764068_63233a4e13.jpg

In this example, I used 2 110v studio strobes, but I have successfully used 2 battery powered strobes just as easily. The amount of light that this thing pushes out is very impressive.

hmm well the softbox i have right now is around 18x26 (don't have a measuring tape so i just used a ruler) and my flash seems to be powerful enough for it, and the size is pretty good for what i'd use it for.

while the two umbrella set up is nice yes, i don't really need that much light for the purpose i'd be using a softbox for

hmm well the softbox i have right now is around 18x26 (don't have a measuring tape so i just used a ruler) and my flash seems to be powerful enough for it, and the size is pretty good for what i'd use it for.

while the two umbrella set up is nice yes, i don't really need that much light for the purpose i'd be using a softbox for

The 2 umbrella setup is good for full body portraits of up to 3 people wide and 2 rows deep and still hit an F/8 @ ISO 200 on the light meter with 2 SB-600s... not bad at all !

A single 18 X 26 with a single strobe should be ok for 1 (or 2 people hugging) if you are doing nothing more than about 1/2 body strobes. It will be tough to get F/8 @ ISO 200-400 with a single SB-600 even at full power depending on your distance from flash to subject.

The 2 umbrella setup is good for full body portraits of up to 3 people wide and 2 rows deep and still hit an F/8 @ ISO 200 on the light meter with 2 SB-600s... not bad at all !

A single 18 X 26 with a single strobe should be ok for 1 (or 2 people hugging) if you are doing nothing more than about 1/2 body strobes. It will be tough to get F/8 @ ISO 200-400 with a single SB-600 even at full power depending on your distance from flash to subject.

well that is quite a bit of power haha

and i'm totally fine with only being able to light one person, that's what i'm aiming for pretty much. i love my umbrella but i'm looking for something with more directional light you could say

Cool... enjoy the softbox, they are good at what they do. :)

will that only work for the photoflex softbox though?

I am using them on non photoflex softboxes with no problem. My softboxes happen to have a threaded 1/4 X 20 hole in the bottom of one side so it works perfectly. From the photo you posted you might look and see what is on the bottom edges of yours. It looks like there is some kind of hole at the top. Threaded or not I don't know. If you do not have a threaded hole it should be easy enough to drill one and tap it if the speed ring is wide enough.

FYI my softboxes are 23 X 32 and I use them with either Sunpack 383's or Canon 580 EX's. They are a bit more powerful but they have worked well. I basicly use them for 1/3 body shots or tighter on single persons although I have used them a time or two with couples. Mostly they get used for head/shoulder professional promo shots as they are far more portable than my studio strobes.

well there is no threaded hole on the softbox i have right now, and since it isn't mine i'm not going to do any drilling. but i will bookmark the bracket you linked for future reference. thankyou :wink:

Most reactions

Back