Morning fog over the dam

FanBoy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With some clear, calm and cooler nights, we are entering the foggy part of the year during our morning hours. This manual 3-exposure bracketed photo was taken about two hours after sunrise at a nearby dam. The fog was beginning to lift and break. The sun was actually above the top frame of the picture, creating bright openings here and there near the horizon, which shows rather nicely.

I created the HDR photo with Photomatix and used the Nik Color Efex filter in Photoshop Elements to give some life to the foggy landscape. Comments welcome...

DSC_0946_7_8_tonemapped_9df_tm_cep2_3_cr_sm.jpg

Nicely done. Where is this?

fan freaking tastic. I'd hang that on my wall

Thanks. The reservoir is called Bernhart's Dam near Reading, Pennsylvania. Sadly, the area was once contaminated with lead by a nearby smelter but has been since cleaned up. All of the topsoil has been dug up and replaced, and now is a park and a place to fish but who knows what lurks in those waters...:confused:

I usually don't like HDR photos cause they look unnatural, although I like the concept of it and sometimes I see things like this one which are absolutely beautiful!
There seems to be some wasted space on top of the sky... did you try a tighter crop? That will also increase the relative size of the duck in the scene. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Nah..Frodo hiding in the bushes ruins it for me ;)

LOVE THE LIGHTING!!!! That duck does wonders for the picture too. Great job.

I usually don't like HDR photos cause they look unnatural, although I like the concept of it and sometimes I see things like this one which are absolutely beautiful!
There seems to be some wasted space on top of the sky... did you try a tighter crop? That will also increase the relative size of the duck in the scene. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the comments; much appreciated. Good observation LizardKing--I did crop some of the sky, where the sun was beginning to burn through. I took the photo from the dam breast wall, where there is no vegetation in the foreground and no opportunity to fill that part.

Excellent! You would never guess this is located in the semi-populated area that it actually is. I've never seen the dam from this angle and thought you were somewhere around the upper reaches of Blue Marsh. Very nice

Nice. Not really a fan of HDR, but this works.

One of the best shots I've seen on here.

I really like it.

I really like this as well. I like how "soft" it looks. I want to just lay there and drink some nice coffee and relax.

That damn duck... worked out COMPLETELY in your favor!!!

Great job!

Most reactions

Back