Old Scituate Light sunrise shoot

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Crazy beautiful and vivid skies followed by some nice clouds during my a sunrise outing to Old Scituate Light on Saturday. I was hoping for calmer water for some reflections because there was very little breeze but it was not to be. This is a great place to shoot because of several different sight lines for both sunrise and sunset plus there is easy access and parking. I'm hoping to get back there again soon.

It was such a vivid sunrise which was a surprise because while it had looked like it was going to be good on the Sky Fire app the night before, when I checked it in the morning the predictions were not as hot. I almost didn't go! I have made a goal to get out there at least once/week while the sunrises are still late enough to be doable for me. Once summer gets here and we're looking at 5am sunrise that means getting there at 4am which sometimes means getting up and out by 3. I can't do very often. I'm toast the rest of the day and usually the day after lol.

These were shot from the yacht club parking lot across the harbor.

Scituate Lighthouse by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Once the sun hit the horizon we drove over to the lighthouse for some close ups. There were a few others there. Another photographer and a few locals walking their dogs.
Scituate Light by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Harlie really enjoyed the outing! She's not used to getting up at 4am so she slept like a baby all day. I may have to edit this one a bit to make her stand out more. She's a bit lost in the rocks... thoughts?

There's a great jetty that you can walk out on but I didn't think Harlie was ready for that yet. She still gets nervous around the waves and while they weren't high they were still crashing quite a bit. I wasn't up for managing the dog and my camera and myself. I've been a lot more cautious since my fall on the ice back in March. I was lucky that I didn't break anything that night and am trying to be more careful when I'm out shooting. I took a lot of wave crashing shots but I don't have the energy to go through them yet.

Thanks for looking. Comments, critique, feedback etc. always welcome.

Very nice diverse set. It is hard to pick favorites but I’m leaning towards 2 and 3. The colors are awesome.

Great sunrise!! You really did catch some amazing colors. I like the whole set.

Harlie looks terrific in the shot on the rocks. I see what you mean about her blending in. But it's good, even lighting, it's just the time of day. My main reaches, when I don't want to get too far into the weeds with processing, are a slight overall lightening followed by added contrast. That might make her pop a little more against those rocks. But it's such a lovely soft, pinkish light, it may not get you anywhere.

Great job, and kudos for getting up to shoot at such an hour! 👏

Spectacular shots! Harlie is blending in just right with the rocks. IMO, they are complimentary to each other.

Great set.
Thanks!
Some lovely skies.....
They were….
Very nice diverse set. It is hard to pick favorites but I’m leaning towards 2 and 3. The colors are awesome.
Thanks! The sky was so vivid and then the golden hour light was so great that I had over a hundred keepers to try to choose from. I’ll definitely be hitting this location again, even if Scituate is a pita to get to.

Great sunrise!! You really did catch some amazing colors. I like the whole set.

Harlie looks terrific in the shot on the rocks. I see what you mean about her blending in. But it's good, even lighting, it's just the time of day. My main reaches, when I don't want to get too far into the weeds with processing, are a slight overall lightening followed by added contrast. That might make her pop a little more against those rocks. But it's such a lovely soft, pinkish light, it may not get you anywhere.

Great job, and kudos for getting up to shoot at such an hour! 👏
I’ll play around with it at some point and try to make her more of a focal point. Thanks it was easy to get up but then I’m exhausted by 2pm and it kills the rest of my day. Still I’m going to try for one sunrise/week for April and May.
Spectacular shots! Harlie is blending in just right with the rocks. IMO, they are complimentary to each other.
Thanks very much!

Crazy beautiful and vivid skies followed by some nice clouds during my a sunrise outing to Old Scituate Light on Saturday. I was hoping for calmer water for some reflections because there was very little breeze but it was not to be. This is a great place to shoot because of several different sight lines for both sunrise and sunset plus there is easy access and parking. I'm hoping to get back there again soon.

It was such a vivid sunrise which was a surprise because while it had looked like it was going to be good on the Sky Fire app the night before, when I checked it in the morning the predictions were not as hot. I almost didn't go! I have made a goal to get out there at least once/week while the sunrises are still late enough to be doable for me. Once summer gets here and we're looking at 5am sunrise that means getting there at 4am which sometimes means getting up and out by 3. I can't do very often. I'm toast the rest of the day and usually the day after lol.

These were shot from the yacht club parking lot across the harbor.

Once the sun hit the horizon we drove over to the lighthouse for some close ups. There were a few others there. Another photographer and a few locals walking their dogs.

Harlie really enjoyed the outing! She's not used to getting up at 4am so she slept like a baby all day. I may have to edit this one a bit to make her stand out more. She's a bit lost in the rocks... thoughts?

There's a great jetty that you can walk out on but I didn't think Harlie was ready for that yet. She still gets nervous around the waves and while they weren't high they were still crashing quite a bit. I wasn't up for managing the dog and my camera and myself. I've been a lot more cautious since my fall on the ice back in March. I was lucky that I didn't break anything that night and am trying to be more careful when I'm out shooting. I took a lot of wave crashing shots but I don't have the energy to go through them yet.

Thanks for looking. Comments, critique, feedback etc. always welcome.
As usual, you have the magic eye that makes the image speak to the viewer! Excellent, all.
Now I want a lobster roll!!

Beautiful! We will be in Newport next week, so maybe I can get some nice shore pics, even though I know they won’t be the quality of yours😊

As usual, you have the magic eye that makes the image speak to the viewer! Excellent, all.
Now I want a lobster roll!!
Thanks! It is definitely coming on lobstah roll season.
Beautiful! We will be in Newport next week, so maybe I can get some nice shore pics, even though I know they won’t be the quality of yours😊
Oh Newport! The daffodils are in bloom there this week thousands of them! Goat Island Lighthouse is a great spot for sunset. Views of the bridge from there are fantastic.

Goat Island Sunset Blue Hour by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Beautiful light and clouds!

Thanks Cheryl, much appreciated.

Nice set. #3 and the last for me.

Superb set. Right time of year as well - before sunrise gets too early.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back