Mothy thing on a berry (Macro)

F1RacerRR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not quite sure what this is. It seems halfway between a butterfly and a moth to me.
If anyone can identifiy it, I would be most grateful.
But it is hungry and I caught it having a sneaky snack.

3516055823_3dc5d4c71b_b.jpg

Taken with Nikon D60 - Sigma 70-300mm zoom set to macro.

It looks mothy to me as well (thicker antenea) as well as wingshape. I have no idea what sort of moth it is sadly, but its a very colourful one so I expect its quite distinctive. If you post the country in which it was taken (and state/region if its a very big country) that might help with the ID of the insect.

As for the shot its a shame that the focus is just off the eyes - you could try for a smaller aperture (bigger f number) to try and get a bit more depth to the shot provided that you have the light needed - a flash or a reflector can really help here.

Overread, the shot was taken in Gibraltar. I could have used a bigger f-stop I think yeah. Im just getting back into photography after a looooooong break so Im really on the learning curve again atm.
I intend to soon invest in an external flash unit and a reflector disc (or something similar).
I think the flash is the better option here as flying insects don't tend to hang around too long :)

true = though if you can get out early in the morning many are too cold from the night to do much flying or moving so will sit still for shots - I have seen some fantastic bee shots where the shooter has found out the common plants that the bees sleep in overnight - then he goes out early in the morning and can stack shots for 3 and even 5 times macro shooting with a tripod.
Of course for the rest of the day a good solid flash is a great help I find!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back