Motorbike Project - HP5 @1600 - FED4

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Just thought I'd try HP5 pushed to ISO1600 with my little (trusty) FED4 and the Leningrad 8 light meter

Sort of got a wee Yamaha XJ650 which I got in boxes, totally stripped it down, sandblasted frame etc.. going to be a wee Cafe Racer style bike if and when I get around to completing it.

fed4_hp5_1600_web.jpg

Nothing fancy but reference to anyone interested in what the film looks like at 1600.

Sorry, I'm more interested in the bike myself. XS650's make great street tackers as well. SO lets see some more pics of the bike!

I think I actually like HP5 @ 1600 better than the 400 it's supposed to be. Still a tad grainy but the "OMG LOOK AT ME" contrast is toned down to a really nice level. Might have to give that a try whenever I can snag an N80 since my N75's can't change ISO speed and I don't feel like messing with stickers to change the coding lol

^ Yeah I've used HP5 at 400 & 800 a lot but I also do prefer it at 1600 - then again, I am a sucker for high contrast.

DX coding sucks eh! :) I buy in bulk so don't have DX coding, doesnt matter with my FED4 (obviously) and I can change ISO with the F80 (N80) anyway.

You could change your EV to -2EV perhaps in the meantime and just push it 2 stops in delevoping.? (If I'm thinking correctly.. been a long warm day )

^ Yeah I've used HP5 at 400 & 800 a lot but I also do prefer it at 1600 - then again, I am a sucker for high contrast.

DX coding sucks eh! :) I buy in bulk so don't have DX coding, doesnt matter with my FED4 (obviously) and I can change ISO with the F80 (N80) anyway.

You could change your EV to -2EV perhaps in the meantime and just push it 2 stops in delevoping.? (If I'm thinking correctly.. been a long warm day )

Well what I was getting at was that I normally don't like the ridiculously high, overbearing contrast that HP5 has (@ 400), but that I really like how it's still punchy, but not "loud" like it usually is.

I need to get into bulk film.. how does that work anyway? Do they sell empty canisters or do you just reuse old ones?

And I think -2ev and then develop for 1600 iso would work, but I'm not 100% on that so I'll just wait to find an N80 for cheap.. plus it can shoot infrared (which the N75 can't)

I wish I could shoot 1600 ISO with my DIGI and get that good of a shot. LOL

DS - Ah, I get you now!.. Using -2EV will work just fine, give it a go :). I don't think you can shoot IR with the F80 (N80) or it may just be the F80s/F80d that you can't shoot IR with due to the camera using IR for the film advance and such, I don't remember exactly - You would probably be better paying the extra for an F100, brilliant little cameras.

Sach - Me too! The D80 & D200 were hopeless above 400 (800 at a push).. just wish I could shell out on a new D700 or something.. such as life.

Long live film!

I'm the process of getting a d3 soon..... d80 will be a back up...I would love a d3x but its a lot of money. I have consider "dare I say" switching to canon... I d5 II is about the same as a d3x but half the price... we shall see...we shall see. Though if I switch to canon I will have to buy an additional camera for a backup there...

DS - Ah, I get you now!.. Using -2EV will work just fine, give it a go :). I don't think you can shoot IR with the F80 (N80) or it may just be the F80s/F80d that you can't shoot IR with due to the camera using IR for the film advance and such, I don't remember exactly - You would probably be better paying the extra for an F100, brilliant little cameras.

Long live film!

From what I've found through research, the N75 uses an IR sensor to count notches in the film, the N80 however, uses an actual "tab" to count the notches.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back