mountain bike photography

cameraguy54

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
heyy
just wondering, for all you guys who are into mountain bike photography what cameras do you use? wheres your favorite place to photograph? or any tips on how to get that perfect shot so anything really. i'm new to this so tell me if i'm doing anything wrong

I've only shot mountain bikes a few times. Panning has produced my favorite photos. The key to it is manual focus on the spot you want to actually take the photo. Slower shutter speed, something like 1/30 maybe even slower depending on the bikes speed. Start moving the lens with the bike before you actually press the shutter release, and follow through after the shutter closes. It takes a little practice, but you get some cool results, especially if done in a wooded area.

What equipment are you using that helps alot. We don't know if you're shooting with a Coolpix or a 1D.

In my opinion, the best way to shoot cycling is with strobes:

2399985807_719376a010_o.jpg

But because we don't know what you're using, we don't know if you can do that.

The strobes are nice too. Like you said it depends on the equipment, and also the ambiant availibe.
If you're in the trees, you can nuke the ambient easy

2399993055_37f92fcce3_o.jpg

I do some photography, lots of dirt jumps because that's the best stuff around d.c. Mostly I just try to get the rider as sharp as possible, unless you're panning of course. Also when you're panning, using a flash helps to freeze the rider, assuming there isn't anything in the foreground. Interesting angles are nice too.

Check out Sterling Lorence's site, he takes some sick pics..
Sterling Lorence Photography Vancouver Sports Photographer Mountain Bike Photo North Shore Whistler Freeride Outdoor

and Blake Jorgenson while you're at it
New | blakejorgenson.com

What equipment are you using that helps alot. We don't know if you're shooting with a Coolpix or a 1D.

In my opinion, the best way to shoot cycling is with strobes:

2399985807_719376a010_o.jpg

But because we don't know what you're using, we don't know if you can do that.

heyy because im only a beginner at all this im only using a 6 MP Pentax *istD SLR with a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 of a second, Sigma zoom lens 18-50mm and a Tamron zoom lens 28-200mm

Also have an old Pentax SP500 with a 50mm lens and a 70mm lens using film dating back to about

so yerr nothing fancy

heyy because im only a beginner at all this im only using a 6 MP Pentax *istD SLR with a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 of a second, Sigma zoom lens 18-50mm and a Tamron zoom lens 28-200mm

Also have an old Pentax SP500 with a 50mm lens and a 70mm lens using film dating back to about

so yerr nothing fancy
That was shot on a D70 with the 18-70 kit lens and a single SB-600, nothing special.

Most reactions

Back