Mounting photographs

imaginit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone have recommendations on mounting photographs for display? Years ago dry mounting was the preferred method. I searched the internet, and there are some on-line sites that sell dry mounting supplies. However, I talked to someone at the local photography store, and it was suggested that there may be a problem with dry mounting photo's printed with an ink jet printer.

I have searched around town, and cannot find anyone who sells dry mounting equipment and supplies. An local art store sells a 3M wet mounting spray (supposedly for photographs) as well as a "sticky paper". Neither method appeals to me, as it would seem that mistakes would be easy to make, and irreversible.

Any thoughts?

check LIght Impressions they have hinging tape, or archival corners that can be easily used with either silver prints or inkjet prints.

Fill me in the problem. I have dry mounted literally hundreds of laser printer prints without a single issue.

I didn't get specifics from the person I talked to, only a quick statement concerning the effect of heat on the drops of ink. This was with respect to ink jet photo printers, not laser printers.

It is my intent to use an ink jet for some prints, and commercial photo printing for prints that seem to deserve more professional treatment. I confess I haven't checked into what technology is used by commercial photoshops for printing, but I will.

Basically, the museum preferred archival mounting "rules" say, NO GLUE

The way to handle it is archival corners (which you can buy or easily make yourself by folding strips of acid-free paper) and acid free backing paper or board, and matt. This means no chemicals can contact the paper.

Obviously different papers, different inks, and glues, and backing and matt boards can result in a large number of variables...some good and some of which can be catastrophic. I´ve seen an inkjet print turn green after a few days contact with a glue that was claimed to be suitable.

This type of archival mounting is in fact easier to do than the glue techniques, so there is really no need to take the risk, and you can even add value by guaranteeing the life of the print

Most reactions

New Topics

Back