Mounting?

Tolyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone provide me some links or info about picture mounting? I've been thinking of entering a contest and they require properly mounted pictures. This is not something I've ever attempted, or ever seen done for that matter.

I mean, what kind of materials are often used to mount onto? What is used for adhesive? Is there specific colours you use, or does it change based on the colours of the photo?

First of all let me say:

If it was me I would go to a frame shop and have it mounted there.

I have never had any luck with any mounting except dry mounting using drymount tissue/

Dry mount tissue is a solid adhesive that reacts to heat. You tack it to the corner of the print then lay it flat against the surface you want it to adhere, to then put a piece of clean paper white paper over it. YOu apply heat in in a dry mount press or with a clothes iron.

Now if you decide to use a wet process, have several copies of the print made or at least be close to a printer you can take it to. You are most likely going to have air bubbles and wrinkles in the print and it wont show well

advice take it to a frame shop where they have the tools. Seriously.

mysteryscribe said:
First of all let me say:

If it was me I would go to a frame shop and have it mounted there.

I have never had any luck with any mounting except dry mounting using drymount tissue/

Dry mount tissue is a solid adhesive that reacts to heat. You tack it to the corner of the print then lay it flat against the surface you want it to adhere, to then put a piece of clean paper white paper over it. YOu apply heat in in a dry mount press or with a clothes iron.

Now if you decide to use a wet process, have several copies of the print made or at least be close to a printer you can take it to. You are most likely going to have air bubbles and wrinkles in the print and it wont show well

advice take it to a frame shop where they have the tools. Seriously.
Unfortunately, I don't have a frame shop in my area either.. heh.. So I might as well learn how to do it myself :) Thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Have multiple copies, check :D

Find out what the contest directors require in mounting. Some are very specific, and if you do not mount to their standard, you're out of luck.

It will still require at least a mat cutter for the mat and cutting of the mat board. Do you have that on-hand? I started doing it myself when my local frame shop began charging exorbitant prices. I bought a fletcher mat cutter for $150 and the materials at a fraction of what I was paying. It took some practice, but really isn't all that difficult.

Johnboy2978 said:
It will still require at least a mat cutter for the mat and cutting of the mat board. Do you have that on-hand? I started doing it myself when my local frame shop began charging exorbitant prices. I bought a fletcher mat cutter for $150 and the materials at a fraction of what I was paying. It took some practice, but really isn't all that difficult.
Nope, don't have it, what's the difference between it and a paper cutter? (Might be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyways :p)

We had a framing store until about a year ago. I never even noticed it shut down, until I needed it.. heh.

A mat cutter is usually a razor blade mounted on a rail system so that you can make straight accurate cuts with either a 45 or 90 degree angle. They range from $100 to several thousand. You might eliminate this if you can find some precut mats at a dept store and you have an image with 'normal' dimensions. They usually have attachments to cut ovals/circles/elipses on a 45 degree angle. They can also cut the foam matboard but you could do this with a straight edge and razor.

You never said you needed your pictures matted. Mounted is just adhered to a piece of mount board. It comes in pre-cut sizes, like 11x14 for example, and if you print an 8x10 and mount it bottom heavy, it will look just fine. You can buy dry mount tissue, and use a tacking iron and dry mount press, or you can use drymount board, which is thick and self adhering. Just peel off the back and stick the print. If you need them matted, then by all means buy a mat cutter, but if not, then save time and money.

there's a chain of craft stores down here called Michael's that carries all sorts of precut matte material and all the supplies that you would need. Is there anything like that up there? Any kind of arts and craft store should carry that stuff.

It is important to see what they specifically mean by "mounted". It could mean permanently stuck to matboard or foam core, or it could just mean matted securely so the image doesn't fall out. As far as permanent mounting goes, I'm with Mystery in that I've found every adhesive method except dry mounting to be troublesome (sometimes a few weeks after I thought it was all done, and the photo falls off). If an overmat is acceptable, then usually large photo corners (I make my own, and use archival tape to secure them) will keep the photograph secure in the mat. You can buy precut mats, or have them custom cut for you at a crafts/arts supply store.

I don't have a clue about 'mounting' photos, but if you're talking about 'matting', just go to Wal-Mart and get a pre cut mat. They have all sizes and colors.

Yes, I was asking only about mounting, not matting.

Thanks all, I'll be sure to look at the specs listed in the contest for mounting, but as I don't really understand the process overly well, I'm not sure what the specs mean :p

mkalcevic said:
there's a chain of craft stores down here called Michael's that carries all sorts of precut matte material and all the supplies that you would need. Is there anything like that up there? Any kind of arts and craft store should carry that stuff.
There's a Michaels about 2 hours from me.. that's probably the closest kind of craft store like that :p

Most reactions

Back