Movie Review: Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows part 2

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I enjoyed it, as a movie. I hadn't seen any of them since the first one, so a friend lent me The Deathly Hallows part 1. While that got me a little up to speed, there was still quite a bit that I didn't understand. My loss, as the movie itself was very entertaining.

I went to see it at a midnight show the night it premiered in the US, and it was PACKED with Harry Potter buffs. Two girls in my row each had "wands", which looked like cut and dried willow switches! One geeky dude had a Harry Potter hardback book and his slider phone on his lap the entire evening...the audience was electric...I'm not a Harry Potter fan, having seen only the first two films, and none of the others. I really have absolutely no interest in Harry Potter movies, but this was sort of a social movie outing...anyway, since I am not a fan of the whole franchise, I was not 100 percent sure of who was who, but the movie itself was okay. Good effects, a number of funny jokes and wry bits of humor, and great battle scenes. I thought the film was a tad bit too long; even the Harry Potter fanatics seemed a bit restless the last 20 minutes of the film. I know it set a record for midnight gate receipts--$45 million US in the first three hours!!! Twilight did $30 in its midnight runs...HPATDH-2 easily smashed that record. Overall, it seemed like good movie making.

My wife is a total Harry Potter geek...and she eventually convinced me to read the books. That was 7 or 8 years ago, and I've read them a few times now. So I guess you could call me an HP fan.

The last 3 or 4 movies, we went to the midnight showing. Not for the hoopla, just because we were excited to see the movie as soon as possible. Normally, I don't like all that standing in line but I indulge my wife for the HP movies...as she came with me to the premieres of the Lord of the Rings movies.

But....we still haven't seen this last HP movie and it's killing us. With 3 month old twins (and a 2 year old), going to movies at midnight just isn't in the cards. Heck, even getting to any movie will be hard...but maybe next week.

Harry Potter books were the first books I ever read on my own.
Harry Potter films were the first films I went to with friends on our own.
Harry Potter was a big part of my childhood.

So the last movie for me was bitter sweet, its not one of the best movies of all time when taken on its own but when put together its up in probably one of the best series of films. Its a great movie in itselfs as stated above but I recon it could have been better! Still a fantastic send off for the cast and story.

Can't wait for the remake in 20-30 years time ;)

Harry Potter books were the first books I ever read on my own.
Harry Potter films were the first films I went to with friends on our own.
Harry Potter was a big part of my childhood.

So the last movie for me was bitter sweet, its not one of the best movies of all time when taken on its own but when put together its up in probably one of the best series of films. Its a great movie in itselfs as stated above but I recon it could have been better! Still a fantastic send off for the cast and story.

Can't wait for the remake in 20-30 years time ;)

Damn I'm old.

I'll write my thoughts later. I am a blood fan.

We saw it the day after. It was okay, but nothing out of this world. I am an avid reader and when I got tired of rereading all the other books I had, my wife convinced me to read one of the Harry Potter books. I read it and I think I finished the rest of them in the next two weeks.

In any case, I don't think the movie was as entertaining as the movie. It was especially annoying to have to endure the boos and claps of the audience. I don't think I have ever abrupted into applause at a movie and thought it was just a bit cliche.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back