Moving from DLSR to Mirrorless

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just made the switch from D850 to Z7ii, Z7ii vs D850 (not the same ol question)

So far I have shot a wedding and 3 small events with the Z7ii, and after selling my D850, just ordered a second Z7ii.

Now I am trying to figure out my lens selection going forward. By far my most commonly used lens is my Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, followed by the 24-70 2.8 G2. What kind and how much benefit would I see moving to the dedicated Z (S) lenses? I do realize I will drop a little weight and size due to not needing the FTZ.

Basically the same question for the Tamron 85 1.8 G2?

I did pick up the Nikon 50 1.8S to replace my other Nikon 50 1.8.

I have been coveting a 105 macro so I am thinking this might be the next lens I purchase, unless there is a lot of value in upgrading my 24-70 or 70-200. I do have a Nikon 60 macro that works well and I will keep it to continue using with my underwater rig.

I have not used it much in recent years, but I did use my Tamron 150-600 G1 quite a bit in the past, however this will not auto focus with. I will likely pick up a G2 series at some point, but not high on my list unless plan on shooing were I need it.

The other lenses I have listed in my sig line are rarely used and no rush to change/upgrade.

Any one have input on what they have done and why?

I mainly shoot nature / wildlife especially birds and landscapes. When I can fill the frame, I use a D850, when I can't, a D500. I have all the lenses you mentioned in f mount AF-S VR , although my Tamron 150-600mm is a G2 as well as a Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 and 600mm f/4 G. I have pre-ordered a Z9 as I believe my keeper rate will go up significantly. After the cost of the camera I'll be using my existing glass on the ftzII adapter until I can afford Z glass. From everything I read, there is no IQ hit, you just don't get the advantage of the sharper, faster Z glass. I have read varying stories about AF speed using f mount glass with the ftz adapter. My take is that it will not be as fast as Z glass, and f mount lenses that AF fast on the D850 should AF about the same, maybe a just a bit slower. In any case, I'm fine with the IQ I'm getting from my current glass.

My plan is to buy the mirrorless trinity (12(14)-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8), an 85mm portrait lens and 105mm macro lens. That covers most everything for me except birding. From there, 35mm and 50mm primes. I'm thinking about Nikon's new 100-400mm lens, but will most likely wait for a 200-500 (600) mm. I'm hoping Tamron and Sigma will start making Z mount glass now that Nikon is competitive in mirrorless technology. I will probably keep both my D850 and D500 and sell just some of my f mount glass. I really love those two cameras as they have done very well by me.

Last edited:
I use a Z6II and decided to switch over to Z-mount lenses for the most part - faster focusing, lighter weight, and better image quality. They are considerably more expensive and there isn't much on the used market, but right now there are some decent discounts on most of them. I don't think you'll have any issues using adapted glass, but you will definitely appreciate the performance improvements of native Z-mount lenses. If you use a tripod regularly, I would recommend picking up an L-bracket so the FTZ adapter doesn't get in the way of the QR plate.

Most reactions

Back