Mozilla

Yeah, I noticed that problem on older version too. On the version that comes with office xp, I can change something in the html tab and it doesn't get changed back like it used to.

I use Firefox most of the time, but it can be annoying. Like when I got 10 tabs open, and I accidently close the window, causing me to loose all 10 tabs. I have also installed myie2, but I havent used it that much. It does ask you when your closing a window with a bunch of tabs if your sure, which is nice, and it lets you close a tab by doing a mouse gesture, instead of having to scroll up to the lil X thing, which is nice. If mozilla implemented those 2 things, I woudlnt have anything to complain about. Other than some html doesnt work in non ie browsers. Like powerpoint transitions and some other code I like to use, like a semi transparent background that becomes solid in some other browsers. Be nice if firefox could get that but im sure ms would have a lawsuit against them or something.

Oh, a couple other things wrong with firefox that are just lil annoyances. You cant move the tabs bar around like you can on ie, at least not that I seen. In ie I have the links on the file menu thing, next to help, since theres empty space there. Even more empty space on firefox there. And you dont seem to be able to move the buttons on the links bar to where you want.

also the bookmarks seems to be in one file, not in a directory structure that ie has, so its harder to move bookmarks from one browser to another.

I still prefer firefox, mainly cuz if I use ie a couple of times, it does an error thing that I cant get rid of till I reboot, also it seems to like to crash out if you switch back and forth between ie windows to fast, which will close every single ie window you got open.

I would use Firefox except that it doesn't have the one feature Mozilla has, which is to stop animated gifs. Some people are too flashy with their animated gifs on forums and websites. For those of you who didn't know, Firefox is basically a stripped down version of Mozilla with less features. It just depends on if you want more features or less bloatware.

GerryDavid said:
I use Firefox most of the time, but it can be annoying. Like when I got 10 tabs open, and I accidently close the window, causing me to loose all 10 tabs. I have also installed myie2, but I havent used it that much. It does ask you when your closing a window with a bunch of tabs if your sure, which is nice, and it lets you close a tab by doing a mouse gesture, instead of having to scroll up to the lil X thing, which is nice.
Instead of clicking the X to close tabs you can always press "ctrl W" to do the same thing. I agree that mouse gestures are nice which is why I also use Opera from time to time. I've been told that there is a plugin for Mozilla so that you can use mouse gestures. I don't know where to get it but I'm sure people at the Mozilla forum will know.

As for your problem about lossing your tabs if you accidently close the program, Opera remembers every tab you have open after a crash and will load those pages when you start the program again. I don't think it does so if you manually close them by accident though.

GerryDavid said:
Other than some html doesnt work in non ie browsers. Like powerpoint transitions and some other code I like to use, like a semi transparent background that becomes solid in some other browsers. Be nice if firefox could get that but im sure ms would have a lawsuit against them or something.
That's the problem with Microsoft and IE, they push non-standard coding while the other browsers are forced to do the same or be left out. IE also doesn't always display codes correctly either.

Frontpage works with IE because they are both Microsoft. I've heard Frontpage has gotten better but back in the day it had overly bloated coding and tended to use its own codes rather then then ones you want. Basically why I do all my html coding with a text editor.

GerryDavid said:
Oh, a couple other things wrong with firefox that are just lil annoyances. You cant move the tabs bar around like you can on ie, at least not that I seen. In ie I have the links on the file menu thing, next to help, since theres empty space there. Even more empty space on firefox there. And you dont seem to be able to move the buttons on the links bar to where you want.
Yes, that's a nice feature with IE. I can't really do the same in Mozilla type browsers unless you know how customize the browser yourself. If you didn't know, Mozilla is skinable meaning you can change its looks. Go to preferences>appearance>themes> click on "get new themes" (near bottom) to get new skins.

Because Mozilla is skinable and customizable you technically can move the bars and icons and resize them if you wish. The only problem is that you have know how to do that or convince people who do to make one to your liking.

GerryDavid said:
also the bookmarks seems to be in one file, not in a directory structure that ie has, so its harder to move bookmarks from one browser to another.
I don't know what exactly you are referring to but it's easy to move bookmarks to other browsers. Just go to your Mozilla's bookmark manager (should be the same in Firefox) and click on tools>export. You get a file named "bookmarks.html". You can easily import this into IE using IE's import feature.

Sorry Gerry. I didn't mean to primarily reply to only your posts. I was only trying to help you out.

Gerry, Firebird does all the things that you would like it to do. I dont mean everything but the things you listed.
First you should visit the extensions page.

1) There is an extention that will save all the tabs you have open from the last closing. You would need to install the Tabbrowser extension. It has the move the tab around and the save last open tabs when closing the browser itself. There are alot of other features it has also. One I like the best is open new windows into a nonactive tab.

2)The problems is with the coders of sites. There are bugs with Firefox and other browsers, but nothig like MS bad handling of correct html.

3)To move your links, right-click on the File Menu bar and select customize. You can line up the icons/links how you want. I personally do the same thing but with the Compact Menu extension[/url]

4) to stop the annoying gifs and flash images I use Nuke Anything

There are many extensions that just might fit your needs too. I do coding and use the web developer and PNH toolbar myself alot.

I can honestly say that Firefox 0.8, which I currently have, is the best browser I have ever used. It's fast, never crashes, and takes up very little of my system's resources.

So I take it people aren't having problems with downloads freezing your browse. If I start a download and there isn't a good connection at first, the whole browser locks up until the feed actually starts. This can last quite a while sometimes. It's been really annoying. Firebird would spawn a seperate thread. That would freeze up until the connecting hit, meaning you couldn't choose where to save it yet, but at least I could still browse while waiting.

No one else?
Bueller?

GimpyPoop said:
Yo,
I am TRYING my best to use Mozilla Firebird more and more over Internet Explorer, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!
Me, the Flea
What do you need to know? Generally speaking most browsers are pretty similar in their basic functions. I'm sure people here are willing to help you. I know I will as long as I know the answer.

GimpyPoop said:
Yo,
I am TRYING my best to use Mozilla Firebird more and more over Internet Explorer, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!
Me, the Flea

I would use firefox more but some programs like to open pages with IE, like msn likes to open hotmail in ie, etc. Any fix for that?

GerryDavid said:
I would use firefox more but some programs like to open pages with IE, like msn likes to open hotmail in ie, etc. Any fix for that?
I don't use msn so I don't know if this will solve your problem, but if file are opening with IE as default you just have to make Mozilla/Firebird as the default browser. You can do this by going to preference>navigator> and then click on the "set as default" button on the right. I use Mozilla so it might be a little different in Firebird.

You can also do it the long way by going to control panel>folder options> and then scroll down to find "htm" and "html". Just change the program used to open it from IE to Firebird. You can then scroll down the list and change all IE files to Firebird. You might want to do then one at a time to see which solve your problem rather then changing all of them.

Harpper said:
GerryDavid said:
I don't use msn so I don't know if this will solve your problem, but if file are opening with IE as default you just have to make Mozilla/Firebird as the default browser. You can do this by going to preference>navigator> and then click on the "set as default" button on the right. I use Mozilla so it might be a little different in Firebird.

You can also do it the long way by going to control panel>folder options> and then scroll down to find "htm" and "html". Just change the program used to open it from IE to Firebird. You can then scroll down the list and change all IE files to Firebird. You might want to do then one at a time to see which solve your problem rather then changing all of them.

Mozilla is set as my default browser. But since msn is an ms product, its no surprise it aims for ie to open its content in. I also went into the file directory thing and set htm and html to open in mozilla.

Most reactions

Back