What's new

Mt Spokane River C&C Welcome

Sachphotography

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
1,229
Reaction score
2
Location
Tulsa, OK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These four shots were taken on Mt Spokane. The river runs down the mountain and due to the fact it is snow run-off, it is pretty clean water.
C&C Welcome!!!
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg


These have a light orton effect. I know some people dont like it but its all good. 2 and 3 are my favs.
 
I was going to ask about the Orton effect. I really like number one, but the Orton effect hurts my eye and makes it difficult for me to look at a photo that has it applied. Otherwise, I think that number one is such a strong image!
 
Composition on all these is not ideal, looks like a very pretty river.
Last couple are tilted.
Crop 1/3 off the bottom and 2 is the best photo.
 
Composition on all these is not ideal, looks like a very pretty river.
Last couple are tilted.
Crop 1/3 off the bottom and 2 is the best photo.

How could the composition be better?
 
I love moving water. The blur is awesome. I'm not a huge fan of Orton, but you didn't overdo it at all.
 
1 the forground is distracting the background is blown out, the best composition would have been the middle third of the photo just above the center line.

3 is tilted to the right. The foreground is cluttered on this one. crop from the right as is. If you get a chance to reshoot take it closer to the first water fall or use a very wide angle and make that square rock sticking out of the water in front of the first waterfall you foreground element and the focus of the photo.

4 is tilted to the right. Foreground element is distracting. No detail in the background behind the waterfall. Something funky going in mid frame on the left maybe a half done clone job or ? on a branch. If you can reshoot take from a lower angle closer to the waterfall crop tight above to take out the dark background, focus on the water fall and just below.

If you want to use a foreground element it has to be in focus and needs to stand on its own, can't be cut in half or be poorly composed. Try using a higher f-stop try not to go much over f-14 or things can get blurry in a hurry.
 
Yeah I think you are right on with most of what you said. I like 2 and 3. Truth be told, this creek is tough to shoot. It is about 3 feet off the road and it is hard not to get the road in the shot. These were more for learning I would say. The 4th shot is actually much sharper than I shot it. Whenever I get around to it. I will upload the raw file. Most of these required a few dif layers. About three for each.
1 for the water in the creek, 1 for the falls area of each creek and one for the foliage areas.

Thanks for the tips. I will show the raws when I find them.

Oh.. and it will be a long time till i can reshoot. The creek is a block of ice now...... -10 will do that!!!!
 
Yeah it is a process. Check out Naturescapes.com to really see what the best photographers are turning out for landscapes. Looking at their photos is a great way to learn.
I can relate, I was raised in Cd'A so know what the winters are like up there.
I am in Boise now and it is not much warmer.....
 
It looks like a nice place to shoot. Composition-wise, I'm not sure I like them, but I'm sure it was a tough shoot.....without getting wet!
 
Yeah it is a process. Check out Naturescapes.com to really see what the best photographers are turning out for landscapes. Looking at their photos is a great way to learn.
I can relate, I was raised in Cd'A so know what the winters are like up there.
I am in Boise now and it is not much warmer.....

Are you a Boise Fan? Boomer Sooners .....Boomer Sonners.... LOL.... Good luck at the Feista Bowl!!!!!!
I think it is Naturescapes.net not .com
the .com site is a weird zenergy site????/ LOL


It looks like a nice place to shoot. Composition-wise, I'm not sure I like them, but I'm sure it was a tough shoot.....without getting wet!

It's all good. Like I said. it was more for a learning experience. I have learend a lot this year and hope things will continue to get better. And um..... I did get wet.... LOL
 
Right .net, awesome site for serious photography.
Yeah Boise State is awesome!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom