Multi-Disc Light Reflector

rwalsh81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I bought a multi-disc light reflector set from amazon (I haven't had a chance to play with it just yet). But this weekend I need to take some ID pictures that need to be on a white background, my question has anyone ever tried using a disc like this for a background?

So I bought a multi-disc light reflector set from amazon (I haven't had a chance to play with it just yet). But this weekend I need to take some ID pictures that need to be on a white background, my question has anyone ever tried using a disc like this for a background?

How big are they? If you're doing tight head or head and shoulder shots, the standard 43" reflector will work. You'll need some way to attach it to a stand though.

All the time; I have a 36x60 panel that I use as my standard background for real estate agents, etc.

How big are they? If you're doing tight head or head and shoulder shots, the standard 43" reflector will work. You'll need some way to attach it to a stand though.

Great thanks, they are the standard 43", the pictures are very tight on the face for these. I've got the stand and boom arm I can hang it from. I'm going to get some practice measuring this week so I can get the hang of how high I'll need to do everything.

depending on the distance and focal length it should work.

@Braineack it's a tight shot similar to your profile picture, I plan on using my 50mm for them. I'm going to try some test shots using my wife as a model over the next few days.

50mm will probably be too wide a lens. I was thinking more like 135-200mm

That's why I'm practicing with my wife first. but also for what these are needed for if I have to I can crop out the extra stuff. Pictures have to be from top of head to very top of shoulder.

Using a smaller background will be easier to longer the lens due to FOV. It will also help with DOF to make the backdrop more blurred.

click my flickr link. those last headshots were done at 85mm and 135mm on a full frame -- the look at the difference in the backdrop with the guy at 85mm vs 135. it's hard to tell since it's already plenty out of focus, but the wrinkles/imperfectly nearly disappear at 135mm. once because of dof, but second because they are no longer even in the frame.

I've used my large reflectors as white,or black, backgrounds, on multiple occasions. The issue is usually one of the narrowness of the background being a big issue. To solve that problem, typically you'd want to use a long focal length, so the angle of view behind the subject is as narrow as possible.

As braineack says: a longer focal length, like at least 135mm,or 150mm,or 180mm,or 200mm, or even up to 300mm, is a good idea! A 50mm lens is likely going to be less than ideal.

...I've used my large reflectors as white,or black, backgrounds, on multiple occasions. The issue is usually one of the narrowness of the background being a big issue. To solve that problem, typically you'd want to use a long focal length, so the angle of view behind the subject is as narrow as possible...
That said, it's very easy to expand the background in the computer with backgrounds like this.

Most reactions

Back