Munich

dllb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
On to Munich, also in Oct. 2002

At the center of the city is the Marienplatz - a large open square with the Old and the New Town Hall.

P1010235.jpg

Its tower contains the Rathaus-Glockenspiel, an ornate clock with almost life-sized moving figures that show scenes from a medieval jousting tournament as well as a performance of the famous "Schäfflertanz" (roughly translated "Barrel-makers' dance").

P1010257.jpg

A column in the square.

P1010237.jpg

Walking around Munich. Some of the sights and architecture

P1010260.jpg

P1010228.jpg

P1010233.jpg

P1010262.jpg

A market area not far from the square

P1010266.jpg

P1010263.jpg

Getting ready for Oktoberfest. Each year about 6 million visitors attend and drink more than 5 million liters of beer and consume over 200,000 pairs of pork sausages - mostly in the "beer tents" put up by the traditional Munich breweries.

P1010267.jpg

The square at night.

P1010238.jpg

And where's the lady carring 6 full liters of beer in each hand at the hoffbrau house???

Very nice shots.....

You had some great places to capture but you didn't give everything.
now let's be more clear:
1. great colors and contrast. too bad you were not careful to the details: the camera and pole in the left shouldn't be in this pic. your image has a distortion: your towers seem to converge but that's not yout fault, it's the lenses.
2. you could move a little to the left to take a really great shot. the zoom is lowering the quality
3., 4, 6, 7, 9 have great colors but they are tilted, wrong composed and they all have a problem: large zones of under exposure. You should use the exposure bracketing and use some crop. I don't like at all the 4th one.
5. it is great shot as it is
9 it's just a vacation pic and that is too bad, cause it could be great with a framing more to the left.
10. nothing really interesting, but anyway the branches in the left should definetely go away
11 is tilted and wrong composed. still great tones. you can use some crop to make a beautiful pic.

FAV said:
You had some great places to capture but you didn't give everything.
now let's be more clear:
1. great colors and contrast. too bad you were not careful to the details: the camera and pole in the left shouldn't be in this pic. your image has a distortion: your towers seem to converge but that's not yout fault, it's the lenses.
2. you could move a little to the left to take a really great shot. the zoom is lowering the quality
3., 4, 6, 7, 9 have great colors but they are tilted, wrong composed and they all have a problem: large zones of under exposure. You should use the exposure bracketing and use some crop. I don't like at all the 4th one.
5. it is great shot as it is
9 it's just a vacation pic and that is too bad, cause it could be great with a framing more to the left.
10. nothing really interesting, but anyway the branches in the left should definetely go away
11 is tilted and wrong composed. still great tones. you can use some crop to make a beautiful pic.

A few comments:
1. I wanted the camera in it to give the idea of the contrast of the past and present.
2. I wanted it on an angle as I felt that it would have no real inerest if it was straight on. I wanted the angles and not a box like representation
3., 4, 6, 7, 9 Again, I didn't want them to be straight on - they would then look like a Hollywood set, they could just be building fronts. Also, I was shooting for highligths and contrast
10. This was just there to show the pole, nothing else!
11. This was done on purpose, again to have a bit of a different look to it rahter then a typical post card picture

OK, if you want me to argue on those pics, let's see.
I'm not talking about hollywood pics and neither about post cards.
I'm talking about photography and some basic rules....
You can't put a tilted photo and say I want it that way because of.... It will always look bad !!! those are the rules of esthetics and good taste and you can't change them.
about the composition of the 1st photo.. that camera almost in the air it's really not a good ideea..that's againt good taste... you could take a larger shot, with the whole pole...but like that...looks bad
2. ok if you wanted it like this, with half of the balcony in the left... your choice....I don't like it

you 're not getting something: NEVER a choped tower or a building will look good just because that's what you want.
If you take a pic and then post it on some photography site, try to make it better.
This is not non-conformism, this is just.. vacation pics.

sorry, I didn't want to upset you

FAV said:
OK, if you want me to argue on those pics, let's see.
I'm not talking about hollywood pics and neither about post cards.
I'm talking about photography and some basic rules....
You can't put a tilted photo and say I want it that way because of.... It will always look bad !!! those are the rules of esthetics and good taste and you can't change them.
about the composition of the 1st photo.. that camera almost in the air it's really not a good ideea..that's againt good taste... you could take a larger shot, with the whole pole...but like that...looks bad
2. ok if you wanted it like this, with half of the balcony in the left... your choice....I don't like it

you 're not getting something: NEVER a choped tower or a building will look good just because that's what you want.
If you take a pic and then post it on some photography site, try to make it better.
This is not non-conformism, this is just.. vacation pics.

sorry, I didn't want to upset you

Each to their own. Photography is not a cookie cutter thing and I hope it never is! I have had positive comments about these from other people I have showed them to.

One other thing, sometimes you are very limited in how much you can get in a picture either by the camera or the surroundings.

Looks like a fantastic place to visit, but I do reckon they need to polish that copper cos its made the building turn green ;)

I can see what you were trying to do in number one, fantastic architecture watched over by the bland straight lines of building thats there to simply serve a purpose and big brother watching over, but I do agree with Fav a bit.

Hope you had a fantastic time there mate :)

SteveEllis said:
Looks like a fantastic place to visit, but I do reckon they need to polish that copper cos its made the building turn green ;)

I can see what you were trying to do in number one, fantastic architecture watched over by the bland straight lines of building thats there to simply serve a purpose and big brother watching over, but I do agree with Fav a bit.

Hope you had a fantastic time there mate :)

I did indeed. It's a great place. I hope you make it there somtime.

I rode my motorbike from the UK to lichenstein via the black forest and switzerland, it was awesome, wasnt into photography then which is a shame. I'd love to do it again as the scenes were fantastic, so much stuff you could take pictures of, so spoilt for choice.

Its quite sad really, spent three weeks in the saddle, rode through 5 countries, didnt even have a camera! I have 3 pictures from that entire trip, I'm in them all!

Nevermind, maybe another time.

SteveEllis said:
I rode my motorbike from the UK to lichenstein via the black forest and switzerland, it was awesome, wasnt into photography then which is a shame. I'd love to do it again as the scenes were fantastic, so much stuff you could take pictures of, so spoilt for choice.

Its quite sad really, spent three weeks in the saddle, rode through 5 countries, didnt even have a camera! I have 3 pictures from that entire trip, I'm in them all!

Nevermind, maybe another time.

WOW! I am envious. :mrgreen:

I get the feeling that you will be doing that again but that this time you will come back with a ton of photos.

I doubt I will do it on a motorbike again, I had a little gpz500 then, known as an ex500 Ninja in the states, I have a ZX7R Ninja now, much faster, much bigger, I love it :D

I spent most of my trip dreamin of this girl I had met the week before I left, it really annoyed the person I went on the trip with, I was always checking my mobile phone! 5 years later that girl I was dreamin of is now my wife :D

I will go back to the black forest soon, its so fantastic there, the germans were really nice to us, they loved the bikes, but this time I will be doing it in the VW Camper I have recently rebuilt for my wife :)

If you ever go to Germany again, make sure you visit the black forest, it really is a beautiful place to visit.

SteveEllis said:
I doubt I will do it on a motorbike again, I had a little gpz500 then, known as an ex500 Ninja in the states, I have a ZX7R Ninja now, much faster, much bigger, I love it :D

I spent most of my trip dreamin of this girl I had met the week before I left, it really annoyed the person I went on the trip with, I was always checking my mobile phone! 5 years later that girl I was dreamin of is now my wife :D

I will go back to the black forest soon, its so fantastic there, the germans were really nice to us, they loved the bikes, but this time I will be doing it in the VW Camper I have recently rebuilt for my wife :)

If you ever go to Germany again, make sure you visit the black forest, it really is a beautiful place to visit.

I am glad to hear the dream became reality. I plan to go back and would love to take in the black forest.

Take care! :thumbup:

dllb said:
One other thing, sometimes you are very limited in how much you can get in a picture either by the camera or the surroundings.

yes you're right. and I wasn't just saying bad things about your photos. only wanted to tell you, you could get more of them. I already sayd that the colors and contrast were good.

about the place: it's really beautiful. I have stayed for 3 weeks in Germany and I saw fantastic places as Hattingen, Dortmund, Bochum, Koln, Neanderthal but some friend of mine broke my SD card (not intentional - he was trying to help me with something) and I lost all of my pics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back