Museum Photography

Aedai

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I'm going to a museum tomorrow that allows photography, however most exhibits don't allow flash.

Any tips or tricks for this that you're willing to share? I'm interested in car photography mostly so I'm portfolio building and this museum has a couple of cars I'm going to snap and maybe other things that catch my interest.

I have a Nikon D3300 with a 50mm lens and 200mm lens. There's a lot of close knit areas though so I'm not sure the 200 will work in my favor even though it is my favorite lens!

Thanks in advanced!

Cheers!

Use the 50mm lens for more overall views; use the 200mm for detail shots (marque badges, wheels/rims, grille and healdight detail shots, etc.

I knew I came to the right forum - didn't even think of that Derrel :D

ISO bumping - gotcha!

Thanks! Any more tip I'm more than happy for!

First, it will be easy for there to be a lot of background "clutter" (other people, signs, other exhibits, trash cans) so compose shots carefully, pay attention to the background, use DoF to minimize some of those issues.

Second, pay attention to white balance. You're likely to have interior lighting that sucks and produces an orange or green hue. So I'd shoot in RAW so adjusting WB post shot is easier.

Third, you're likely to shoot some slow exposures so blur is a likely problem. Look for places to stabilize your camera (since I"m sure you can't bring a tripod or monopod in). A wall or door frame, a column, a crowd barrier, a bench. Or embrace the blur....set your camera on a 2-4 second exposure as people walk by...let the car be sharp and in-focus with the people as ghosts.

It is entirely possible that the museum will not allow the use of a tripod. You should check this out before you take your tripod and then have to leave it at the door.

If they do not allow a tripod you may want to try a monopod and or a beanbag. If you go to the beanbag the 200mm may be useful as you may need to set up further away to find a spot for the beanbag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back