My 3rd Photo ASSIGNMENT. Help please.

shootLib

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Our teacher is giving us some themes. we have to pick one and turn in four photos that present this theme.

Photographs are not limited to factual depictions of objects in the physical world. In this assignment, your challenge is to take hold of the inherent ability of the photographic image to go beyond the surface. Like our more common verbal language, visual language can employ symbolism and metaphor to discuss and express ideas. This is achieved in your choice of subject (objects or people), how you arrange or direct or interact with subject (viewpoint), and the way you photograph them (light/ mood/ style/
etc.) It could be a still life, or life in flux… set up or found as is.

Your subject matter should be an exploration of something you are interested in. The more personal a subject is to you, the better. Do not limit yourself to only physically tangible subjects. Ideas or passions or issues you have feeling about are valid and often
provide very strong starting points for explorations.

The assignment: Complete one of the following:

1. Produce a series of four photographs that work together to successfully convey/
trigger one of the following words:

Stability
Isolation
Tragedy
Apprehension
Turmoil
Embarrassment
Exhilaration
Despair
Understanding
Enclosure

Be ready to discuss how your word choice and images are working together.

Im not looking for someone to tell me what to do .....but maybe some ideas on how you would take on the assignment.
I am just having a brain block and having a hard time deciding how i am going to go about it. I am new at this photography thing, and its more difficult for me when I am told what to take...
:wav:

I HOPE SOMEONE HELPS!!!!

I would personally work with isolation. All you really need is a subject to be alone in a large depth of field picture.

Where are you in Georgia? If you're near a mountain that could go with stability.

Exhilaration could go with action sports.

I would just brainstorm. Sit down with a piece of paper, write out your themes and then think of as many examples for each theme that you can. Then go through them and decide which shots you could actually get and how those shots would convey the idea. They have those posters that teachers always have on the wall (confidence, perseverance, etc.) Try to google search those and see if you get any ideas.

I think an awesome thing, depending on where you live, would be to go out and find some homeless people, tell them you'll pay them $5 a piece if you can photograph them....That's despair and isolation...Oh, and be sure and take a guy with you so nothing happens :)

One would hope that you could think up some ideas and open a dialogue here, instead of asking us to do your homework for you. ;)

I would personally work with isolation. All you really need is a subject to be alone in a large depth of field picture.

Where are you in Georgia? If you're near a mountain that could go with stability.

Exhilaration could go with action sports.

I would just brainstorm. Sit down with a piece of paper, write out your themes and then think of as many examples for each theme that you can. Then go through them and decide which shots you could actually get and how those shots would convey the idea. They have those posters that teachers always have on the wall (confidence, perseverance, etc.) Try to google search those and see if you get any ideas.

I think an awesome thing, depending on where you live, would be to go out and find some homeless people, tell them you'll pay them $5 a piece if you can photograph them....That's despair and isolation...Oh, and be sure and take a guy with you so nothing happens :)

thanks you so much. thats exactly the help i was looking for.
i will brainstorm today and maybe even walk around and look at things for help. I just needed a jump start to get me thinking.
Its more difficult to take pictures when you cannot see what they look like until you develop them. i know a digital class would be less difficult.
i also have very limited amount of money and limited amount of film, so i can't just go around and non-chalantley take them.

One would hope that you could think up some ideas and open a dialogue here, instead of asking us to do your homework for you. ;)

i was not asking you to do it for me. and if you did not want to help, you should not of said anything. there was no point.:salute:

This is an extremely open ended project. You can take pictures of anything you wanted and come up with a general theme. Especially since they are telling you that you can use ideas, thoughts, etc.

Personally, I would not do literal things like an open field showing isolation, or homeless people to despair. First of all that is kind of boring, and have been done by countless photographers. I really believe that the teacher is trying to get you to think out of the box.

Do something non literal, be abstract.

I don't know about you, but when I hear "stability", I think "tripod".

isolation---show lonliness.....sad, lonlely people by themselves.......or things that stick out

enclosure..show akward close situations...like an elevator

despair/tragedy...maybe like dead flowers.....but thats kinda dumb

i was not asking you to do it for me. and if you did not want to help, you should not of said anything. there was no point.:salute:

Yes there was. Think about it. I help my 16 year old niece all the time. YOU start the brain storming, toss out ideas and get the ball rolling... not wait for someone to tell you how to do your homework. I was ready to go a lot of different ways but NOT before you start the ball rolling. Personally, I would have been embarrassed to ask for help on a board for my homework... but thats me.

Anyways... good luck.

Yes there was. Think about it. I help my 16 year old niece all the time. YOU start the brain storming, toss out ideas and get the ball rolling... not wait for someone to tell you how to do your homework. I was ready to go a lot of different ways but NOT before you start the ball rolling. Personally, I have been embarrassed to ask for help on a board for my homework... but thats me.

Anyways... good luck.
:fangs:

i have been thinking about it. i was not waiting for someone to tell me. i was getting opinions, that does not mean i am going to copy their ideas, its just to help me get the "ball rolling". chill obviously some understood.
and i am not embarrassed. i am learning, and you can learn from others. i am in photo 1. thank you everyone else, that helps.:cheers:

use the themes as search keys and look em up in Google image search and flickr search.. you will definitely get your "Ball" rolling ;)
you wouldnt believe how varied (exotic?) are the results you will get!

Go with Tragedy, this time of year there are many dead animals (deer would work best) on the side of the road and a series of four shots from within a car, would not only be challenging but give you the oppurtunity to compose some touching photos.

Isolation can also be done by using color selectively Like a red flower in a field of yellow flowers. Isolation can also be created by just using a very shallow dof.

Turmoil can be a staged scence depicting an argument, maybe someone ready to cut themselves or shoot themselves, or use facial expressions and pills or alcohol.

Embarassment, go to a school and play around with toilet paper stuck on shoes, or a love note found by someone other then the intended, etc.

HTH

Tragedy or Enclosure are both easy to do... visit a local SPCA for example.

Stability, any building where it is under construction and you can see the girders.

Exhilaration, go on a roller coaster ride or a major moment in any sporting event

Desperation, visit any ghetto area.

Possibilities are endless.

Most reactions

Back