My "Ahhh-Haaa" moment

Boomn4x4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well it finally happend. I think I offically have disconnect from the world of Point and Shoot, put my big boy pants on and learned the true value of the SLR.

I have always enjoyed taking pictures with cheap point and shoot cameras. So when my wife and I found out we were expecting, I decided that this was the time to buy an expensive camera so that I could take better pictures (I know what you are thinking... bear with me for a second).

After buying the camera and spending a few months playing around with it, I started to realize that the pictures I was taking now were no different than the pictures I was taking with my CyberShot... I started to question what the deal was with these SLR's and wondered if I just wasted my money on a marketing ploy. If I could take just as good pictures as I was with my P&S as my SLR... something wasn't right.

After a few weeks of doing the natural thing, and blaming everything else... I decided that maybe it wasn't the camera's fault... maybe it was mine.

From then on out I did plenty of googling, plenty of reading, one day I took over 200 pictures of a water bottle sitting on my kitchen table trying to learn the different settings.

Over the course of the last 8 months or so, I've come to learn the value of the SLR and what it really does to open opportunities for photographers that they can't get out of a point and shoot. However, up until this past weekend, when ever I was taking pictures that I really had no concerns about if they turned out as great photographs or not, I still turned that dial to green auto and clicked the shutter button at will. This weekend, that all changed.

Sunday was my 10 year old nephew's Baptism.... My job bestowed upon me by my sister-in-law.... photograph him. This was a big day for him, and they wanted to make sure it was done right. "Sure, no problem, you can count on me".... Set my dial to green auto (I wanted to make sure the pictures turned out).... and get ready to fire away.

He came up on stage and I pull out my camera, zoomed in.. Pressed the shutter button... delay, delay, delay... "Common, beep already" Click.... I missed about 5 seconds of opportunites but oh well... I looked down at the picture... "What the FU$&!" (I don't suggest you drop F-Bombs in church... people tend to give you funny looks) Tried to take another shot... flash popped up... "why the hell would the flash pop up, I'm 50' away" (I remembed not to swear out loud that time).

Long story short... In a 60 second reading and baptism, I managed to take 5 pictures... and aweful ones at that. ISO set at 1600, small apertures, fast shutter speeds... the shots were all ruined... all because I failed to trust in what I have learned.

From here on out, the dial will never touch the little green camera icon again.

Good story! A perfect example of a time & place where knowledge becomes critical.

Congratulations on "taking th next step", feels great, eh?!

Thanks for the story too, I enjoyed it. :)

Thanks for sharing! Any chance we get to see the pics, no matter how bad?

I learned the other day that vignette is pronounced "vin-yay"

That was my most recent "ah-ha" moment.

I learned the other day that vignette is pronounced "vin-yay"

That was my most recent "ah-ha" moment.

I never knew how vignette was pronounced. Thanks.

So....I'll bet you always wondered where the term , "Baptism under fire," came from,right? Now you know!

Guess I should read before I post from now on... :study:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back