My attempt at aquarium shots

WolfSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know how Doenoe does these shots mine always come out so you know that they are behind glass, what am I doing wrong? Is it simply I don't have a large enough apperature?

DSC_1372.jpg

DSC_1355.jpg

I know these aren't good shots, but I would like some pointers on how to improve them. I don't remember how close I stood to the glass. I"m not sure how to include exif data either.

Photo 1: Focal Len 35mm F/5.6 1/15 sec Exp comp +5 with no flash(manual)
Photo 2: Focal Len 28 MM F/5.6 1/20 sec Exp Comp 0(aperature Priority) no flash

I experimented with several settings and came to the conclusion some needed exp comp just to see the fish without blur. I'm thinking I just need a 50mm 1.8

I read a suggestion on another thread that it helps if you put your lens right on the glass. In a way it then becomes a part of your lens and you won't get reflections because there is no light hitting the glass. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

yeah, you have to get your speeds up 1/20 is too slow. So you probably need a 50mm 1.8. I do all my aquarium shots with that lens. I dont use a flash, i tried it a couple of times, but if you arent against the glass with your lens, you'll most likely end up with some glare in your pic.
Also, it helps to wear darker clothes. Cause that doesnt reflect in the glass like white stuff (in cause you wanna take a shot further from the glass) But like Ajay said, just try too keep your lens as close to the tank as possible. Or you can try to shoot in an angle. Just keep an eye out for stuff that reflects in the aquarium glass then :)
Oh and try NeatImage, it really helps with the noise.

Thank you so much for the pointers. I looked at your shots and was amazed. I thought mine were bad, but the fish are in focus, they just look so fake compared to yours. It was dark in the aquarium and my F stops don't go very low, I think that is the final discussion in the 50mm 1.8, I just need to wait a couple weeks so I can get it, my brakes were a little more important ya know lol.

One good trick with shooting through glass is to use a rubber lens hood. They aren't very expensive and they fold back on themselves. You put it on, and fold it back, which will leave a ridge around the front of the lens about a 1/4" out from the edge of the lens. You then rest the rubber up against the glass, which will block any light reflecting back (even light from a flash) from the glass (or plastic) into the lens. The rubber material also cushions the lens, which is good if you are shooting through an airplane, train, car or other window where there is vibration.

Mike

Most reactions

Back