My attempt at the Cathedral of the Transfiguration. C&C?

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, so I visited the Cathedral of the Transfiguration after finding out about it on this board. must say it looks beautiful in real life. the only problem i had was with the overgrown bushes and weeds... and the houses in the background kinda ruined everything. I got out of the car and walked up the path to the cathedral... took some shots and within 5 minutes it began to pour. Had to book it back to the car ahah... anyway, here are the pictures. C&C would be much appreciated

ISO: 200
1/500 f8
focal length: 34mm
cropped and edited on GIMP
cathedral2dsc0193edited.jpg

ISO 200
1/250 F9
Focal Length 18mm
Cropped on GIMP
cathedralcentereddsc019.jpg

I likey :) I was going to say the building is a little underexposed and the sky a little overexposed but what are you going to do in that situation? Too far away for fill flash - at least any flash I have access to. The second one seems to have a bit of a green hue to it.

How do you like Gimp? I was thinking about trying it out. I'm all about open source software :)

Matt

I hope it's OK - I used Photoshop to lighten the building a little in the first one. That's kinda a tough shot. Good job.

3847726123_842446f98d_o.jpg

Matt

damn thats a really nice cathedral

im not a church person type but i really love their architectures :D

AWESOME.. glad someone else took advantage of such an amazing building! To bad about the rain though...

I found it was a hard building to shoot.. it was also a dreary day when I went to, so, it took some PP to make the place look alright.

I was talking to some on about it, and there is a church that has taken it over and will finish over time. Next time I go through that area I will be sure to bring my camera.

thanks guys :p much thanks to thenikonguy for telling me where this is.

Moze: :p yeah i found that the building itself was a little dark but i kinda liked that. it was a dark day so i thought it kinda fit in with the picture. has a very... errr menacing (?) feel to it. The second picture kinda DOESS have a green hue to it... and that's purely because of the angle i shot it at and because of the sky... didnt feel as if it needed to be fixed as it was it's natural colour, so i kept it greenish:p

About GIMP, this was my first time using GIMP, i downloaded a plug in that lets you open and edit RAW images... and i found that very easy and efficient to use. BUT, i'm still more used to photoshop.

snaggle: yeah, i kinda agree. when i was editing this, i was debating whether or not to brighten the image or keep it dark. decided that brightening it took away from the feel of the image and made the cathedral look a little unnatural. iunno i'll go back on a sunny day and take a few more photos... hopefully it'll light up the church naturally.

This would probably be a good opp for HDR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back