Testing Out My New Sigma 150-600 C Lens

freixas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had some problems with my new Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lens, most of which seemed to mysteriously disappear. I went for a quick trip to my neighborhood nature part, the Rhododendron Gardens in Portland, Oregon and took some photos. Photos look reasonably sharp and even include some birds in flight.

The images were processed with DxO PhotoLab 2. Most of these are heavily cropped (as tends to be common with my bird photos). The camera was a Canon EOS 80D. Exposure for all these was 1/1250 at maximum aperture and auto ISO. Most were shot at the full 600mm focal length.

The wildlife is:
  • Green Heron
  • Dargonfly
  • Great Blue Heron
  • Female Mallard

2019_08_01 10_52_25 2546 C80D.jpg 2019_08_01 11_08_48 2564 C80D.jpg 2019_08_01 11_23_04 2624 C80D.jpg 2019_08_01 11_23_08 2626 C80D.jpg 2019_08_01 11_23_12 2630 C80D.jpg 2019_08_01 11_26_24 2682 C80D.jpg

The Duck is fantastic! Nice set. I love my Sigma 150-600mm.

The Duck is fantastic! Nice set. I love my Sigma 150-600mm.

Thanks! The duck is actually the only uncropped shot. too. I was just lucky that the reflection didn't fall outside the frame.

Nice pics and lens! My favorite is, "Turbo Duck." (he may be hiding N2O as well!)

Nice photos, well shot there doesn’t seem to be any CA unless you have corrected it. This lens does not really fit in with my style but going to add I am going to my list of, one day, lenses

Looking good! Long lenses in particular have always been a significant learning process for me.

For reference, some things I found with the Tamron 150-600 you may want to test: The Tamron is sharper with the aperture stopped down. I shoot at f/8 whenever possible. It's also sharper at 500mm than 600mm. If the bird is large enough in the frame, a shot at 500mm cropped a little more is sharper than a shot at 600mm cropped a little less. Maximum sharpness is always a balance of cropping vs the lens performance at different focal lengths and aperture sizes, shutter speed, ISO performance - all dependent on available light... so many variables.

Good shooting, looking forward to your next set!

Nice photos, well shot there doesn’t seem to be any CA unless you have corrected it. This lens does not really fit in with my style but going to add I am going to my list of, one day, lenses

Thanks! These probably do have some CA correction. I'll check out the originals to see how much was present; I don't think there was much.

Looking good! Long lenses in particular have always been a significant learning process for me.

For reference, some things I found with the Tamron 150-600 you may want to test: The Tamron is sharper with the aperture stopped down. I shoot at f/8 whenever possible. It's also sharper at 500mm than 600mm. If the bird is large enough in the frame, a shot at 500mm cropped a little more is sharper than a shot at 600mm cropped a little less. Maximum sharpness is always a balance of cropping vs the lens performance at different focal lengths and aperture sizes, shutter speed, ISO performance - all dependent on available light... so many variables.

Good shooting, looking forward to your next set!

Thanks! I'll keep the tips in mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back