My B&W Film Processing List, Help Please!

I may try loading them the way described above.

It might be that I have cheap reels. I have arista reels I believe. They gunked up right away when I was using them in the final risne with a wetting agent. Ive since stopped using them in the final rinse and they are better but once in a while, depending on the film Im loading Ill have trouble and end up having to feed them film on to the reel by hand, rather than using the racheting. I almost prefer to do it this way just because I know its going to work just fine.

Stainless uses less liquid and allow for better flow (the dif in flow is probably insignificant ... but better flow nonetheless). You will screw up a few times when you first use the stainless reels. Typically, the film won't be properly set, jumping over the separators causing the film to touch. Where the film touch, no development occurs, causing one to loss a few frames. Practice resolves this problem.

Dump the squeegee ... over time they have a propensity to scratch (as mentioned above squeegee with two fingers ... initially use the index and middle ... over time your skill level will increase to be able to use other finger pairings).

Film clips look better than clothes pins.

Lose the stopwatch ... times are not all that critical.

I suggest a film wash tank thingie. They accept stainless reels, screw into the faucet and delivers a very good swirling 'power' wash to the film. Something like this:
Doran | Vacuum Action Roll Film Washer (Aqua/Vac) | PR535FW

(I haven't used this product, so I can't recommend it ... the above is just an example ... saves on wash time and wash water.)

Gary

One trick I used was a home made film dryer. I went to lowes, and took a reel with me. I picked up a section of PVC pipe that it would fit in. Next I drilled a bunch of holes in it. Then I fixed a piece of coat hanger as a latch on the bottom. Last thing was a cheap hair dryer that I set up on a timer to shut off. It worked as well or better than the ones we had in the Photojournalism labs. Quick easy and cheap.

I personally don't think temp is that big a deal. Our apartment had no ac, and your chemicals were in the apartment. I never had a issue. I just had to make sure and watch the time for the temp the developer was at.

Most reactions

Back