sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm feeling all sentimental and mushy today, because my "baby" boy is 21 years old today! So I've been looking at pictures of him for the last few days, remembering all the joy, laughter and adventure he has brought into my life.

I hope you'll indulge me by allowing me to share a few of them here. These are, for the most part, "terrible" pictures, point-and-shoot quick snaps that were not always even in focus, but I've thrown on the mommy goggles for this little trip down Memory Lane. :D

My youngest, Sean, was, from the time he could walk, a creative, adventurous, entertaining soul. I told someone when he was just two years that the worst trouble my eldest would ever get into would be trouble that Sean LED him into! My eldest would have spent his entire childhood sitting inside reading books if not for his pesky little brother who insisted on action and adventure. One of my favorite memories (well, it's a favorite NOW, not so much then!) was when I got to the daycare one day and was met outside at my car by his daycare teacher. I *knew* that couldn't have a good ending!! He had--for reasons that have never been clear to me--decided to throw one of his shoes up on the roof of the daycare. When his teacher suggested that Mom might be a bit peeved about that, he decided to try to get it down…by throwing the OTHER shoe at it.
Years later, the roof theme would come back to haunt me. Within weeks of starting high school, I got a call from the principal. Sean and a friend had gotten up on the roof and were evidently just climbing around exploring up there. His defense was that it was "easy" because there was a rail there, and there were no signs that SAID not to climb on the roof. The principal asked him what he thought might have happened if he'd fallen and gotten hurt and he said (because evidently I taught him about telling the truth, but no so much about holding your tongue…), "Well, that would be my OWN stupid fault, wouldn't it?"

1. This is the absolute worst of the pictures, but yet one of my favorites because of the memories it brings to mind. Sean didn't do anything halfway, including eating. He considered mealtime to be a full-contact sport! :lol:

$221883_1732927844521_3824279_n.jpg

2. Another "masterpiece" of the 1mp digital p&s era, but the expression on his face is just priceless! That's my mom with him.
$224760_1732927964524_6145715_n.jpg

3. Flash forward a few years. This was either his junior or senior year of high school. I always made their Halloween costumes when they were little, and when they were in high school, and could have bought themselves a costume, they CHOSE to either have me make one or do it themselves. This one, The Mad Hatter, Sean made entirely from items he found at my house or his Granny's house.
$230652_1758112514122_4460382_n.jpg

4. Finally, one from last Christmas. This is Sean with one of his artistic creations, a clay pig that he painted for his Granny.
$3880_4241781444293_2073020217_n.jpg

When I look at pictures of him as a child, I kinda tear up and miss those days. But I wouldn't trade THESE days for anything--having adult kids that I love and delight in, and having a great relationship with those adult kids--that is all the "success" I really ever need in this life.

How about YOU? Feel free to share any special photos or memories of your own kids, especially ones that have gone and grown up on you! :D (Oh, and for those who just HATE all the "oh, look at my cute kids" threads…go read the newspaper for a bit… :D )

That's awesome. I also love that pig.

My kids haven't grown up yet. I need to make sure to add a lot more photos to the "embarrassing" column.

Awwww, that is so,so sweet! I bet he's an amazing young man, since you raised him!

That's awesome. I also love that pig.

Agreed, that is one great pig, ain't it? It's one of my favorite works he's produced so far.

Awwww, that is so,so sweet! I bet he's an amazing young man, since you raised him!

Aww, and now I'm blushing!! :blushing: Thank you, Derrel, that's very sweet. He IS an amazing young man, as is his brother, but I'd say I had little to do with it. I do know that *I* am a better person now than I was two decades ago, for having them in my life.
:hug::

Their dad lives out your way. Next time they go out there, I think I'll see about having them (my sons that is, not their father…) meet up with you. I really think you all would get along splendidly!

How about YOU? Feel free to share any special photos or memories of your own kids, especially ones that have gone and grown up on you! :D (Oh, and for those who just HATE all the "oh, look at my cute kids" threads…go read the newspaper for a bit… :D )

My 2 girls are grown and moved out (yet still have a lot of their stuff still here!). Where does the time go? When you are in the midst of rearing them you think that is how life will be not realizing that they will grow up too fast. For those that still have kids in the house, cherish all the moments even the frustrating ones!

I made this video for my daughter last year when she graduated college. Can't believe the youngest is grown. We didn't own a video camera when she was young and I would borrow one on occasion, so not too much footage at the young years. I had tears in my eyes the whole time editing this for her.

[video=vimeo;44835487]https://vimeo.com/44835487[/video]

My 2 girls are grown and moved out (yet still have a lot of their stuff still here!). Where does the time go? When you are in the midst of rearing them you think that is how life will be not realizing that they will grow up too fast. For those that still have kids in the house, cherish all the moments even the frustrating ones!

I made this video for my daughter last year when she graduated college. Can't believe the youngest is grown. We didn't own a video camera when she was young and I would borrow one on occasion, so not too much footage at the young years. I had tears in my eyes the whole time editing this for her.

[video=vimeo;44835487]https://vimeo.com/44835487[/video]

I must have missed this, while I was busy out celebrating with the boy! :D Great idea--I have almost NO video of my kids, as I didn't own a video camera either while they were growing up. But that sort of memory collage would work just about as well with still images all put together into a video.

Final pic: October 28, 2013--21st Birthday Celebration. Enjoying his FIRST EVER alcoholic beverage! (Okay, okay--the first ever that his mother is willing to acknowledge. :D )

He chose a Craft Brew, Terrapin Rye Ale. Claims it was good--I tried it, way too "hoppy" tasting for me, but then I've long since lost my taste for strong beers.

$Sean21bdayweb.jpg

You either gave birth to him equipped with a surprisingly refined palate for beer, or that is not his first beer. :mrgreen:

My mom went through the same thing. If she'd known what a superb drinkin' buddy I can be back then, I'd have been given beer when I was 12.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back