My Bird Photography, and Massachusetts "Big Year"

That's a lot of birds, and some nice captures in the mix. I thought i stayed busy....

Wow, I've always drawn a line between "birders" and bird photographers. You are clearly a good bit of both.. nice collection... would love to know when and where you saw the Snowy Owl :)

Wow, I've always drawn a line between "birders" and bird photographers. You are clearly a good bit of both.. nice collection... would love to know when and where you saw the Snowy Owl :)

Something tells me that one would be fun to talk to at a party and one you'd actively avoid.

Excellent! I enjoyed seeing these a lot! thanks for sharing them, I need to go back and really take a closer look at them too.

SOme good stuff, bumpylemon! Congratulations on a successful year so far--and you still have over five weeks left!

Snowy Owl was 2012 at Plum Island. Hoping they come back this winter. I started out as a photographer...then i saw an eagle...then i took a photo of it and it got published. then i started birding. now i backed away from the models and all that and im more of a birder.

How did you get out to Plum? The work ferry leaves from a dock about a mile from my house but I thought that was only for employees out there? If you ever need shoreline birds for your list I'm prbably about 90 minutes south of you... I really want to find a Snowy Owl...

Well, as others have mentioned, most of us here are definitely NOT real birders, more Bird Photographers. I do love to watch them and I'm pretty obsessed with making sure I I.D. whatever I shoot, but I often have to do so after I get home with the pictures, and it's definitely not my strong suit--especially when it comes to the thousand different kinds of sparrows!

Stick around; not only are your photos quite nice, we can definitely use someone who can help us ID birds! ;)

How did you get out to Plum? The work ferry leaves from a dock about a mile from my house but I thought that was only for employees out there? If you ever need shoreline birds for your list I'm prbably about 90 minutes south of you... I really want to find a Snowy Owl...

I still want ANY owl at all. All these birds, and I have YET to find one single owl. Not one. And I've been to spots absolutely "guaranteed" to be where the owls are. It's starting to become an obsession... :D

I'd imagine he means the Plum Island off the coast of Massachusetts(although I don't think it's actually an island),not the one between me and you coastalconn.
Otherwise,instead of great shots of beautiful birds,he'd have grainy pics of flying chickens with horses heads sewn on.

I'd imagine he means the Plum Island off the coast of Massachusetts(although I don't think it's actually an island),not the one between me and you coastalconn.
Otherwise,instead of great shots of beautiful birds,he'd have grainy pics of flying chickens with horses heads sewn on.

LOL.. That would make a lot more sense :) Didn't think of that. Flying Anthrax probably wouldn't be cool to photograph :(

Most reactions

Back